Corsair Community

Adjusting voltage?

Hi... Well, I recently built my first system ever, and surprisingly enough it is running great. However, I bought a set of 1 GB TwinX Xms-3200ptc2, and it is currently running stable and cool in my A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo (at 3-3-3-8.) Now, if I understand the RAM description right, these sticks should be able to run at 2.5-3-3-6 on my MOBO. But, when I set the bios ram speeds to these settings, I get blue screens and CTD in Far Cry. So, I have loosely picked up that occasionally voltage settings need to be tweaked to get RAM to run at these more aggressive settings (even though they are rated for it?) What voltages do I adjust in the BIOS? And what are the recommended voltages? Thanks for any help...I searched the forums but I didn't find an answer to my question exactly. All4naught

Welcome to the forums, all4naught! Please set these timings, etc: These are found under the advanced chipset options in BIOS: Memory Interface - [b]100%[/b] Memory Latencies - [b][Manual][/b] CAS Latency - [b]2.5[/b] RAS Precharge - [b]3[/b] RAS to CAS Delay - [b]3[/b] Active Delay (tRAS) - [b]6[/b] DDR Voltage - [b]2.7x[/b] ([i]not to exceed 2.8v[/i]) Then run [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] and see if you get errors. If you do, run the modules [b]one at a time[/b] for at least 2 full passes of [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] to check if one of them is failing. Also, be sure to put the modules in DIMMs 1 & 3 for dual-channel. PLUR CK

Ok- I changed all settings to what you suggested and then ran MemTest 2x. With both sticks of RAM in dual-channel mode I finished the test with 376 errors. Then, after removing one of the sticks and repeating MemTest...I had 423 errors. So, I replaced that stick with the other...ran MemTest again...and had 2026 errors!!!! Now, if I set my BIOS to "optimal settings" (3-3-3-8) and memory interface to auto, I get no problems. (In MemTest or windows, gaming, etc...) Do I have 2 bad sticks of ram or do I just need to adjust my settings? Thanks for the help! All4naught

Alright, do me two favors: Run [url=www.cpuid.com]CPU-Z[/url], go to the [b][color=blue]memory[/color][/b] tab and list everything it says. You'll have to use your 3-3-3-8 settings to do this since the others are unstable, but that's fine. Look at the module's themsevles on the hologram sticker. List everything that is says on that sticker. PLUR CK

OK- here goes: CPU-Z Memory Size: 1024 Chanels: Dual Both Modules DIMM 1 and 2 are listed as: Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MB Frequency 199.2 MHz FSB-DRAM 1:1 CAS LAtency 3.0 clocks RAS to CAS Delay 3 clocks RAS Precharge 3 clocks Cycle Time 8Clocks STICKER LISTINGS CMX-512 3200C2PT XMS3202v3.1 0411040 1 XMS3200 512MB 400Mhz CL2 And that is all...I have also set my BIOS mem settings back to OPTIMAL or AUTO where applicable. Thanks- All4naught

Yes, I have another machine with DDR memory, but it is much older and much slower. Also, I am not sure if I could even find where to adjust memory setttings in the BIOS...it is an old user-configured HP. (A7M266-M...if I remember correctly) Assuming I can find a way to adjust the settings to 2.5-3-3-6...will this older computers MOBO run it at this speed? I think that it's FSB is 266.

Well, I thought that I would tack on my relevant system specs and exact BIOS settings to be double-checked....just in case something here sends up a red flag to anyone. Also, let me re-iterate that I get NO errors at stock speeds, but only at the 2.5-3-3-6 settings. System Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Bios 1008 and latest chipset drivers) AMD XP 3200+ SATA WD 160GB 1GB TwinX XMS3200C2PT Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB (Catalyst 4.4) Lite-On Combo Drive 52x... Nothing is overclocked. My CPU temp AFTER my burn in was 50, and normally hovers around 47-48. MY MOBO temp is consistently at 30. Now, here are my BIOS settings under Advanced Chipset Features when I am trying to get the RAM to 2.5-3-3-6. I apologize in advance if most of this info is unecessary, but I want to be thorough. CPU External Frequency 200MHz CPU Frequency Multiple Setting Auto CPU Frequency Multiple 11.0x System Performance Settings User Defined CPU Interface Optimal MEmory Frequency 100% Resulting Frequency 200MHz Memory Timing User Defined SDRAM Active PRecharge Delay 6 SDRAM RAS to CAS 3 RAS Precharge Delay 3 CAS Latency 2.5T FSB Spread SPectrum 0.50% AGP Spread Spectrum Disabled CPU Vcore Setting Auto xCpu Vcore 1.650 v. Graphics Aperture Size 64 AGP Frequency Auto System BIOS Cacheble Disabled Video RAM CAcheable Disabled DDR Ref. Voltage 2.7v AGP VDDQ Voltage 1.5v AGP 8x Support Enabled AGP Fast WRite Enabled And that is everything...it seems pretty unlikely that I got 2 bad sticks of RAM, huh? I'm just not sure where else to look for the solution- Thanks again for all the help...it is totally appreciated! All4naught

• Corsair Employees
I would try and reset the MB bios with the CLRTC jumper with no battery and no power connected. Then load setup defaults, and set the timings to the tested settings; Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and set the dim voltage to 2.7 Volts and please test the system with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url]. From your post's it sounds like you have tried this but you may have not reset the bios. If you get errors with memtest please test the modules one at a time and lets make sure one is not failing. In addition, if you have access to another system that you can test the memory in it may help to isolate the problem to the memory or the rest of the system.

OK- RAM GUY...I will try that. Also, I underclocked the multiplier to 10x and reran MemTest and only got 90 errors this time! Heh... Now will resetting my BIOS affect my OS, SATA drivers or anything else other than the BIOS? Thanks All4naught

Well, I found it...it seems that my A2 Dimm module is faulty or something. I never get errors on either one of my other slots and only on A2. So, I guess now I have to RMA my mobo or check the forums for a hot-fix through a driver or something. But, I did switch my sticks to A1 and B1, put them at the more aggressive settings and it runs BEAUTIFULLY! Thanks for all of the help...it is sincerely appreciated. All4naught

Glad to hear it's working, but it does sound like a bad DIMM slot on your mainboard. Slots 1 and 2 should be identical in operation with your setup (assuming you keep the other module in slot 3). You may want to RMA the board before it leaves it's warranty period, etc, just because you should have a fully functional board. PLUR CK

Archived