Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF - can't run dual channel 1066MHz

pipnsam

I am posting this thread in the hope that I might get answers to a couple of questions I was not able to get from Tech Support.

I was advised that these Dominators would be compatible with my Asus M3N72-D but I have found it to be unstable with both sticks running at 1066MHz.

Everything runs fine with a single stick inserted into any slot in single channel mode at 1066MHz. With 2 sticks runnning in dual channel mode at 800MHz everything is also fine. When running 2 sticks, dual channel at 1066MHz everything appears fine but if I leave Prime95 running for long enough it will eventually record an error or Windows will eventually crash.

I have also noticed that when benchmarking with Everest, I found significantly lower latencies with one stick inserted as opposed to two.

I have tried setting memory to DDR800 5,5,5,18 and then increasing the FSB incrementally to 266 to try and achieve 1066MHz that way. Again, the system becomes unstable somewhere between 900Mhz and 1066Mhz

Finally, I have gathered from the Asus M3N72-D QVL that this memory may only be compatible with this board in single channel mode (still waiting for confirmation from Asus Tech Support) - but Corsair Tech Support has assured me that this 4GB set should work, which I take to mean that it should work in dual channel mode.

My questions:

1.) Should one stick single channel have a lower latency than two sticks dual channel?

2.) Should this memory work on this motherboard with 2 sticks dual channel 1066MHz?

CPU-Z 1066.bmp

• Corsair Employee
If both modules will run properly one at a time but not when in D/C that might suggest some other issue. And what slots do you have them in, you might try moving them to the other two slots and load setup defaults and then set the tested settings and try it again? Also check for the latest BIOS version as well.

I have the latest Bios.

On this board memory should be inserted into the yellow slots or black slots for dual channel operation. I have tried all combinations and the slots seem to be working normally just not in dual channel 1066.

If both modules will run properly one at a time but not when in D/C that might suggest some other issue.

Any ideas what other issue it could be?

I know that the Memory is most likely fine, Tech Support has already told me to RMA it but I don't see the point in waiting 4 weeks only to get some fresh memory which does the same thing.

What about the fact that Asus rated it for single channel only? Why would that be?

Is there any setting you could suggest that might help stability with dual channel? I can run Memtest, Prime95 and 3DMark06 for a long time before it crashes but it WILL eventually crash.

I can send pics of Bios if it helps.

• Corsair Employee
What about the fact that Asus rated it for single channel only? Why would that be?

A: I would suspect it was some BIOS Issue that could not be resolved when the MB was tested. But if the modules will run on another MB in D/C it is not the memory. You can ask them for more details if you like.

Is there any setting you could suggest that might help stability with dual channel? I can run Memtest, Prime95 and 3DMark06 for a long time before it crashes but it WILL eventually crash.

A: What are the exact BIOS settings you have set for Both CPU and memory?

And what test on http://www.memtest.org are you getting errors on? By the way with both modules installed and set to DDR800 will the system runs stable?

Sorry for the late reply but I have been doing a lot of testing...

I have included photos of my Bios settings.

I can't seem to get any errors in http://www.memtest.org but I'm not sure how reliable it is. Firstly the memory is read as "516MHz (DDR1033)". Secondly, when I select Test 8 only the "TEST" progress bar runs quicker than the "PASS" progress bar. By the time "TEST" reaches 88%, "PASS" is at 56%, the "TEST" bar resets and runs again up to 88% with "PASS" also at 88% and the test completes and records as 1 pass.

When I have tested other pairs of memory the progress bars run simultaneously just as they do with a single stick of memory.

Yes, with both modules installed and set to DDR800 the system runs stable. When I set it to DDR1066 I get random crashes in Windows. Could this be because I am running Windows XP Professional 32-bit?

1142607351_JumperFreeConfig.thumb.jpg.26be134ebbe88ffee3ab6ce2043d9d3c.jpg

1990756604_CPUConfig.thumb.jpg.b8c8f10b70d276ddec66929c84552dc9.jpg

1853491588_DRAMConfig.thumb.jpg.e328750ba608acba83b6b1515990f891.jpg

I've just had the system crash after running for about 12 hours with just one memory module running at ddr1066. It ran fine all day running Prime95 and then transferring hundreds of gigs of data between backup drives only to crash all of a sudden while doing nothing.

Does this mean one of the sticks is bad or will Windows 64-bit fix this?

i would suggest putting a little bit more voltage to your CPU-NB vid.

bump it up only a few .0xxV as this may stabilise it.

Specially with cpu's that have disabled cores it may be unstable when pushing the IMC's.

I had a phenom 9550 that had this same issue, would not run 1066, until i put a few more volts to the CPU-NB vid.

i would suggest putting a little bit more voltage to your CPU-NB vid.

bump it up only a few .0xxV as this may stabilise it.

Specially with cpu's that have disabled cores it may be unstable when pushing the IMC's.

I had a phenom 9550 that had this same issue, would not run 1066, until i put a few more volts to the CPU-NB vid.

My options for NB Voltage are: AUTO / 1.213 / 1.313 / 1.409

I have bumped it up to 1.213 but I still get instability.

Did you have trouble with running one stick at 1066 or 2 sticks?

the phenom 9550 had a stock voltage of 1.250 on the cpu-nb, this would allow me generally to post @ 2.4ghz on the cpu-nb.

This was also 1066 dual channel stable.

Have you tried a lower bios version? i know my mobo (Gigabyte MA-790FX DQ6) would NOT allow me to post with version F7b but with F6 it woudl work perfectly fine!

Although when i put my 940BE it worked on both bios versions.... *shrugs*

Give it a shot.

Archived