Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D Configuration

kodemunke

Hey guys I am just curious as to what are the correct BIOS settings when using 8GB of memory. I am currently using the Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6 mobo with the most recent F7b BIOS. I have the brand new AMD Phenom II X4 965 (I am waiting on Gigabyte to release a new BIOS update for this CPU) installed and I am using 8 GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066MHz RAM (TWIN2X4096-8500C5D + TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF). CPU-Z lists the modules as CM2X2048-8500C5D.

When I first put my pc together I used the TWIN2X4096-8500C5D kit and ran that memory paired with a Athlon X2 7750 BE CPU at 2.1V/1066MHz by the EPP.

Then I decided to buy 4GB more of RAM and I added the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF to the exisiting TWIN2X4096-8500C5D kit. Also, I got my hands on the new AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE CPU and put it in the mix.

Now when I try to set the memory to run by the EPP it only runs at 800MHz and 1.95V. Basically, I would just like to know what are the correct BIOS settings that I would need to enable to run my memory at the best settings.

My mobo is based on the AMD 790FX chipset (RD790+SB600). Also, my motherboard uses the Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG by Award Software. I currently have the F7b revision released by Gigabyte. They have told me that they intend to release a new update to fully support my AMD Phenom II X4 965.

Sorry for the long post. I am just curious what I need to do to get the most out of what I got. Thanks a lot guys.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I just wanted to double check if these are the settings that you meant:

Set the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800

Set Memory Clock - x4.00/800MHz

Set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts

DDR2 Voltage Control - +0.25V/2.10V (1.8V Stock)

Set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts

Chipset Voltage Control - +0.20V/1.450V (1.250V Stock)

Test the system with http://www.memtest.org

I downloaded the bootable .iso. Do I just burn it to a disk and boot from the CD to run MemTest.

Disable legacy USB in the bios

Legacy USB Storage Detect - Disabled

I am guessing those are all the settings that you recommended me to try. I am curious as to why the memory sticks can't run at 1066MHz when there are 4 modules installed. Also, what would be the performance difference between running 4 GB at 1066MHz compared to 8GB running at 667MHz/800MHz? As I understand it the higher the frequency of the memory the higher the memory bandwidth is...? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

One thing I did want to point out... When I run these settings that you have specified I receive a message after my computer posts. The message is as follows: Warning! Now system is in Safe Mode. Please re-setting frequency in the CMOS setup. F1-Continue DEL-BIOS Setup. When I set all of the settings back this message disappears.

I have some settings that I wanted to run by you and see what you think.

In the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) section of my BIOS there is the Auto Xpress. Under there is EPP Mode which I set to Auto and EPP Voltage Control which I set to By EPP.

Then again under Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) there are the System Voltage Control settings and I set that to Auto.

When I enable all these settings the memory runs at 800MHz/2.16V and I don't receive any error messages after I post. Also, I would like to know if it is safe to run my memory at 2.1V even though the stock voltage for my DIMM slots is 1.8V?

Archived