Corsair Community

Win7 Boot from P128?

Chnaiur

I really can't figure this one out:

I installed Win7 64 bit (RTM) on my P128, and when I have my old Vista volume connected I get a boot menu asking if I want to boot to Win7 or Vista. If I select Win7 I can boot just fine.

However, when I disconnect the Vista drive, I get the following error message right after "Verifying DMI Pool Data ......'

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

What could be wrong?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

That sounds like your boot manager is on the Vista disk, e.g. Vista was your primary drive when you installed Win7. Windows always installs the boot manager on the primary (bootable) hard drive, regardless of where the actual OS is going.

You'll either need to keep the Vista drive connected, or you'll need to disconnect it and then run a repair on the Win7 drive so that it creates the bcd entries.

Jim

Yep, that sounds like the situation to me. I ran into the same problem, but Win7 didn't want to repair itself. So I just reinstalled it without my Vista drive installed.

You can either create a bootable USB drive, or burn the Win 7 .iso to DVD. Either way, be sure your PC is set to boot from the device you plan on using...

Thanks Jim,

this is probably a noob question, but how do I repair the Win7 volume with no boot disk? Do I need to create a USB bootable, and then run a dos command or somesuch?

Thanks again

Disconnect your Vista drive and then put the Win7 CD (or bootable USB) in and boot up from the CD/USB. Choose to repair. Win7 should then poke around looking for Windows installations and work out that there's no MBR and /Boot folder, and it will hopefully then create this information.

Jim

Archived