Corsair Community

Extreme X64 CMFSSD-64D1 Issue/Question

dbw09

Hello, I recently purchases the Corsair Extreme 64GB SSD. The performance has been very good so far, but when running some benchmarks I noticed the that disk cache size is reported incorrectly in every benchmarking suite. Both CrystalDiskInfo as well as HD Tune report the cache size to be 32MB.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5878

attachment.php?attachmentid=5879

Also, I was wondering about the garbage collection features available for the barefoot controller that this SSD has. Is it present on these drives? Other posts speak of TRIM, and I know that isnt functional yet, I am wondering about right now... is there some firmware controlled features that handle garbage collection on the extreme series SSDs? Please let me know.

HDtune.jpg.f7671946a6e07121caecf0f6af991738.jpg

crystalinfo.jpg.da8716d3bd0c1bf43619dfa68d494987.jpg

• Corsair Employees
The drives support Trim so that is not an issue and its my understanding that the drive controller will perform this function in the back ground when not in use but I have asked for clarification on Extreme Series drives.

HD Tune and CrystalDIsk are posted above, and here is one from DiskCheckUp. I have never seen any of them show the correct 64MB buffer size after multiple tests. Is there something wrong with this drive? It is still within the return period.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/Asystole_Diesel/diskcheck.jpg[/img]

• Corsair Employees
Please wait before you do the RMA on your drive I am checking this now and it seems that the program may be incorrect or the drive cache is miss reported I will get back to you on Monday or Tuesday.

• Corsair Employees
NP we are looking into this now but its late on Friday so I don't expect any more information till next week. Also can you take a pic of the label on the drive for me and post it here I really need to know the lot code?

• Corsair Employees
Thanks for that information, and we are looking into this now and we have a sample here that is showing 32Meg of cache but when we took it apart it does indeed have 64 Meg of Cache on the drive. So it looks to be a software issue but we will let you know ASAP.

I have the 128 version of the Extreme and I note that CrystalDiskInfo is simlarly only reporting 1/2 the cache. I will watch this thread with interest to see if it turns out to be a software issue or if, in fact, the OS can only see (and use?) 1/2 the installed cache.

Capture.JPG.cb52a5f5f0ea3b6d393ebc29c6dfbf9a.JPG

Just out of curiosity I have just downloaded and installed SiSoftware Sandra Lite (latest version SP4) and that similarly reports 32Mb of cache on my 128Gb Extreme instead of the expected 64Mb.

The drive seems to perform well on spec however, with a Read perfomance of 242Mb/sec. I haven't worked out how to measure "Write" performance as yet. When I select Write measurement it shows an error and tells me "Disk not empty: Remove all its partitions and try again" which has completely confused me! I have never used this utility before so I am probably doing something wrong?

I have the same thing showing on my X64 too - only half cache; I'm not worried tho as the drive is performing great, with one exception - boot time is actually considerably slower than my HDD but once into windows it flies.

http://www.ppsuk.com/capture.png

• Corsair Employees
I have never seen an SSD take that long to boot. How did you get Windows on the drive was it a fresh install or did you image it to the drive from another HDD? And how many applications are loading at start up? Hvae you timed it with a watch from the BIOS Post screen to Windows Desktop?

It was a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional RTM; the install was done from a DVD and I just let the installation program do its bit with regards to creating and formatting the partitions; the usual 100MB system reserved and the remainder for the OS. No probs installing, it all went well.

Only apps loading at startup are my AV (Eset Internet Security 4), Realtek Sound Manager and the usual OS background apps; nothing other than them.

Timed it with a watch and it worked out around the same time.

I've got the SSD on Sata 1 - my Samsung Spinpoint 1TB on Sata 4 - my LG DVD/RW on Sata 5 and have an external drive connected via eSata on Sata 6.

Got the SSD working on AHCI as recommended and made the changes necessary in the BIOS to effect this (three options available IDE, RAID and AHCI).

Screenshot of running processes below:

http://www.ppsuk.com/capture3.png

I've changed the SATA cable twice to make sure it wasn't a problem with the cables. As I say tho, once I get into Windows everything flies along; apps open instantly and even the bigger apps like PhotoPaint and Dreamweaver open in under 3 seconds.

Tis a strange one :-)

Just as an aside, from post to logo its about 2 seconds; from logo to welcome screen its about 6 seconds; then it sits on the welcome screen for the remaining 38 or so seconds and then the desktop appears with everthing ready to roll.

Update: >>>>>

I ran diskpart .... "Clean All" command ..... took a little while.

Reinstalled Windows 7 Pro letting the installer do all the work for partitioning, etc.

Ran Boot-Timer again and WOW ..... look at the result:

http://www.ppsuk.com/capture4.png

Don't know what the problem was in the first instance, but I think the results above proves that it must have been something hooky in the first install.

Happy chappy now lol :-)

Further update: >>>>>

This is a new one on me - back to slow-coach boot time, "but", I know why - though I don't know why it should make a difference. If I leave the default theme on - whoosh boot-time; if I change the appearance (for eg the desktop to black) sloooooow down boot time. This is the only change that I made to make this happen; change it back to default theme and the boot time whizzes along. Any ideas anybody????????

Archived