Corsair Community

Intel DX38BT with 2 different sets of XMS3 1333

Kingfish999

Ok for starters, i have the TWIN3X2048-1333C9 pair and the TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX on my Intel DX38BT mobo. i know its not good to use different types of RAM but these are appear almost the exact same besides one has better heatspreader and lower voltage.

The problem is that my computer randomly reboots itself, even when idle. I think the memory is causing it cause i tried alot alomst everythjnig but havent messed with the ram much and when i change the ram settings in bios, the frequency that the reboots happen seems to chnage alot but cant seem to get it perfect. I always had this problem but it use to only reboot if i play a game (multiplayer wont cause reboot but single player will after minutes). Now it does it whenever it feel like it.

my mobo's bios seems to always get every setting for the memory wrong (timings and voltage way off, FSB at 1066). i know both sets of ram use 9-9-9-24 timings and are 1333 speed but in my bios, i got alot of other types of timings im not sure what to set as. below shows all the memory settings (its Intel Desktop Control Center but shows same settings as BIOS.) Yes i know it only shows 2gb but thats because i took out a pair to see if that fixes anything. What are these extra timings suppose to be set as?

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8731/timnigs.jpg

Also i know one set of RAM runs at 1.60 volts while set the other runs at 1.70 volts. which would be the voltage to run at or should i use some other voltage?

Even if the memory isnt causeing the rebooting problem, i would like to know what timings and voltage to use so any help would be great.

one last note: i added new heatspreaders to the non-HDX set and it didnt change anything besides make them run cooler.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

well i tied different voltages from 1.7 to 1.9 but it would cause my system to lockup at higher voltages. 1.62 volt is the msot stable for me right now. i just isntalled a new heatsink with fan for my northbridge chipset to help cool it down cause i htink it might be my northbridge overheating causeing retsarts. 30 mins after installing, my hard drive went corrupt and kept bluescreening. i wasnt sure what was causing it at the time so i tried takeing 2 sticks of ram our to see if it helps. stupid me forgot to set the volatage down (was at 1.9 volts with 2 sticks of memory made for 1.6 volts) and fried one if my sticks of ram. with that bad stick of ram, i cant even get past POST. also memtest said all my other sticks had no problems and i did at least 5 passes with no problems.

now that i only have 3 sticks (for now at least) does duel channel still active whren there are 2gb in one channel and 1gb in the other?

• Corsair Employees

The modules can run up to 2.0 Volts with out damage.

But if one is failing I would suggest we get the set replaced and I would check with the MB make for the latest BIOS version based on what you have posted.

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Archived