Corsair Community

Do I have to use fans on OCed TWIN2X4096-8500C5D?

losse

I have Twin2x4096-8500C5D G installed in my PC which is a EVGA 680i Sli mobo. They are running at default 800mhz.

Is it ok to try OCing them to 1066 without the fans installed?

Also, i just want to make sure, i forced them to run at 2.1v and 5-5-5-15. They were at default 1.85 and 5-5-5-18 in bios when i first installed and checked bios.

Does that sound right?

I saw there may be different versions of this ram and could require 2.2v? or maybe im just confused.

I think mine said version 1.1 but i could pull them out to make sure if needed.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Those modules should be 2.1 Volts and with that MB you just go to BIOS setup and then load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and enable SLI Ready memory to CPU 0% should be all you need to do with only one set installed.

Ok i did double check and it does say 2.1v on the stick :)

I tried running WoW at 1066 and it crashes.

It runs fine though at 800mhz.

I am not really into the OCing thing, i just want a stable PC, so even if these are a little overkill to run at 800 thats fine with me if they work.

My last quesiton is, if i run them at 800, i still leave them at 2.1v and 5-5-5-15 right?

Cause my up to date bios want to default them at 1.85v and 5-5-5-18 but i forced them into 2.1 5-5-5-15 and they seem stable there.

Here are my CPU settings in bios.

I am pretty sure i have the last bios, i flashed it recently. Its dated 9-4-08, and i think it was P33

Here is the CPU

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=30785

Limit CPUid maxval - Disabled

Intel SpeedStep - Disabled

CPU Thermal Control - Disabled

C1E Enhanced Halt State - Disabled

Execute Disable Bit - Enabled

Virtualization Technolog - Enabled

Both Cores Enabled

CPU Core 1.3v

CPU FSB 1.2v

Memory 2.1v (forced)

nforce SPP 1.25 (i wonder if i should increase this)

nforce mcp 1.5

ht nforce SPP <> MCP 1.2v

Here are my settings at 800mhz

Sli Memeory Disabled

CPU Freq 3000

Mult 9x

FSB Auto

Mem Ratio Auto

FSB 1333.3

Memory 800

I forced it into 5-5-5-15

and its always been at 2T

Auto settings 3-23-5-7-7.8us (i never tough these)

Ok, so i change the mem sli settings to CPUOC 0%

and the only thing that changes from the above is:

mem 1066.2 mhz

4-22-6-10-7.8us

And i still have the other row forced to 5-5-5-15 with (auto 2T)

I often wonder about my bios settings, you guys know a good guide on just basic settings for gamers? :) Like the maxval setting and stuff.

Let me know if u need more info.

• Corsair Employees
To test I would set them to DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the timings to Cas 4-4-4-12 2T Command Rate and see if the system is more stable. But the 680I Chipset was rated at DDR800 and DDR1066 for memory was an over clock.

Well, my system is totally stable at 800mhz, 2.1v, and 5-5-5-15-2T.

Should i just leave the timing there since i plan to leave it at 800mhz? Or try these other timings you listed above. Will your other timings in your response directly above make the ram slower or faster or neither :D

When i saw corsair 1066 ram listed on the EVGA compatibility guide i made the noob mistake of assuming it would run no problem at 1066 rather than what it really means which is, it will run totally stable at 800 and if your lucky it might run at 1066. But thats not corsairs fault as far as i can tell. I'd rather have stability than extremely slight system speed increases.

• Corsair Employees
Should i just leave the timing there since i plan to leave it at 800mhz? Or try these other timings you listed above. Will your other timings in your response directly above make the ram slower or faster or neither :D

Cas 4 is faster than Cas 5 and memory running at Cas at DDR800 will have about the same memory bandwidth as running at DDR1066 at Cas 5.

• 1 year later...

Ever since this old post, i have been running these 2 modules and they have been rock solid with these settings.

Sli Memeory Disabled

CPU Freq 3000

Mult 9x

FSB Auto

Mem Ratio Auto

FSB 1333.3

Memory 800

I forced it into 5-5-5-15

and its always been at 2T

Auto settings 3-23-5-7-7.8us

I added 2 more of exactly the same modules which brings me up to 8 gigs and usually the PC wont even load, just a black screen.

So i let it auto voltage, and it is running at 1.85 volts with all 4 modules but I haven't really had time to play games to see if its going to be stable at that low of volts with all the other settings left alone. It was on all night and still on in the morning.

Any suggestions or just keep trying it at 1.85. Or should i adjust voltages slowly down. Like try 2.0 instead of 2.1? Or should i be leaving it at 2.1 and adjusting other component voltages instead?

I also updated bios about 6 months ago.

I added 2 more of exactly the same modules which brings me up to 8 gigs and usually the PC wont even load, just a black screen.

Corsair never suggests or recommends mixing 2 kits, all sticks must come in the same package to be fully qualified to run together. they were not tested as a 4-up config in the factory so its near impossible to support it. read the link in my sig for details.

yes even the same part# and version but you do have a shot at getting them to work but you may have to drop the speed even more to 667 or 533 for all 4 to play nice.

sorry for the bad news.

Archived