Corsair Community

Asus P5N32E-SLI Plus and 2 kits of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D crashes/BSOD

ironsharp

I'm posting here because I'm pretty much at my wit's end with the problems I've been having. Sorry if the post is long, but I figured I should explain absolutely everything I've tried so far.

I received two CM2X2048-8500C5D kits for my birthday in July of this year. I installed both kits and ran the system perfectly fine for two weeks or so without any manual setting of timing/voltage (I'm not overclocking).

Earlier this month, though, I upgraded to the windows 7 RC. A few days later, I began to get random access violation crashes (which are apparently memory or page file-related) when I was running world of warcraft, as well as PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSODs. Assuming it had something to do with windows 7, I formatted and reinstalled Vista (Home Premium x64), ending up up with the system I had before the errors began to occur.

However, even after the format and reinstall, I got BSODs and errors when running warcraft at times. I attempted to manually set the timings and voltage(to 5-5-5-15 and 2.1v respectively; I'm not sure about changing anything else), as well as flashing the BIOS to the most recent version, but the errors persisted. I ran memtest86+ for 3 passes and got no errors, so I figured it was something to do with the page file, so I bought a new hard drive and reinstalled vista on it.

I haven't gotten the PAGE_FAULT bsod or a WoW crash since the most recent install of vista on the new hard drive, but just hours ago I got a "Modification of system code or critical data structure detected" BSOD. Most info I can find on this crash seems to be memory-related, but I could be wrong. Since this new BSOD I've run Memtest86+ again, finding no errors, and wow hasn't crashed either, but I'm certain It's only a matter of time at this point.

I should mention that while memtest86+ and the windows memory diagnostics tools have found no errors, this program sometimes finds errors when I run it (and sometimes it doesn't). I'm not sure what the significance of that is compared to memtest86+, since it runs through windows.

Am I somehow setting the timings or something wrong? I've been leaning toward thinking it was a bad module for a while, but the lack of errors in Memtest86+ makes me hesitant to accept that. Any help would mean a lot to me :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee
If you are not getting errors in memtest and also when running the Windows Memory Diag tool I would suspect some other issue and the test you gave the link for can be ran from with in Windows and if you were running it from Windows that may explain why you are not getting consistent results. Have you searched for the stop errors at http://www.microsoft.com/technet?

If you are not getting errors in memtest and also when running the Windows Memory Diag tool I would suspect some other issue and the test you gave the link for can be ran from with in Windows and if you were running it from Windows that may explain why you are not getting consistent results. Have you searched for the stop errors at http://www.microsoft.com/technet?

I had done research on the stop errors I had been getting, and the first suggestion for all of them is to check for memory errors.

I think I may have solved my own problem, however; after wow crashed again last night for the same reason as before, I replaced my new ram with my old modules (a CM2x2048-6400C5DHX kit) and haven't encountered any errors since. Do you think that is that reason enough to attempt RMA?

I already did. I manually set the timings to 5-5-5-15 and voltage to 2.1v but it didn't help at all.

Have you changed any other voltages at all?

Most likely with 4 modules you aren't going to be able to run 1066 due to the load on the memory controller. You can try setting the memory controller voltage up some to the 1.35v - 1.5v range.

Have you changed any other voltages at all?

Most likely with 4 modules you aren't going to be able to run 1066 due to the load on the memory controller. You can try setting the memory controller voltage up some to the 1.35v - 1.5v range.

I didn't change any other voltages. When I had all 4 modules in, they ran at 800 instead of 1066. Manually setting the speed to 1066 didn't change anything, either.

I'll see what changing that voltage you said does.

edit: there wasn't any setting like that for the memory controller voltage in my bios. my voltage options are "VCore Voltage, Memory Voltage(I had this set to 2.100v when i had the other modules in), NBCore Voltage, SBCore Voltage, CPU VTT Voltage, DDR2 Controller Ref Voltage(This didn't have any settings like 1.35v or 1.5v, it was "DDR2_Vol/2, DDR2_Vol/2-30mv, DDR2_Vol/2-20mv, DDR2_Vol/2-10mv, DDR2_Vol/2+10mv, DDR2_Vol/2+20mv, and DDR2_Vol/2+30mv), DDR2 Channel A Voltage Ref, DDR2 Channel B Voltage Ref(the channel A and B settings had the same options as the DDR2 Controller Ref Voltage setting)".

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Keep in mind this is 4 modules on a 680i MOBO.

Ironsharp, check your manual or with the MOBO maker and determine which of those BIOS settings corresponds with memory controller voltage. On 680i, you are going to have to increase it to run DDR800+ with 4 modules.

I've already tested them individually and found no errors, as I said--the only program that found errors was the one that I linked that ran through windows.

My motherboard's manual doesn't state what any of those voltage settings I mentioned mean, it just lists them like I did.

I would not trust any program running in Windows. Is the system stable?

And what were the settings you had set for both CPU and memory when all four were installed?

The system isn't stable, which is why I'm using my old memory. I had the CPU and RAM set to 1066 (it defaulted to 1066 FSB and 800 RAM), but it didn't affect stability, for better or worse.

• Corsair Employee

According to the Spec listed on ASUS's site that MB only supports

Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/533

Running DDR1066 would be an over clock and you may need to teak some other settings to make it stable.

It will support a CPU FSB of - 1333**/1066/800/533MHz (** available when CPUs are ready for 1333MHz FSB)

I think that is where some may be confused about this chipset and what it supports.

According to the Spec listed on ASUS's site that MB only supports

Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/533

Running DDR1066 would be an over clock and you may need to teak some other settings to make it stable.

It will support a CPU FSB of - 1333**/1066/800/533MHz (** available when CPUs are ready for 1333MHz FSB)

I think that is where some may be confused about this chipset and what it supports.

I did notice that when reading my mobo's manual, but the corsair website lists the memory I bought as compatible. What setting would you suggest that I change? I've tried running it at 800 but that didn't fix the crashes/bsod.

• Corsair Employee

You may also need to set the NB SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts but for testing please use http://www.memtest.org and test them one at a time and let me know the results if you get error on what test number?

Archived