Corsair Community

Horrible Temps H50 and Intel Core i7 920

BeerNuts

Yesterday I finally got the last parts in and begun building my new i7 rig. At first I put it all together to make sure no parts were doa before I messed around with it more.

So H50+Noctua pulling air into case and corsair oem paste ran on the system for 24hrs as I stress tested stuff and installed various drivers etc. Temps from Real Temp 3.0 reported as 75C under load and about 45C idle.

These temps were horrible as most people can OC at that temp but this was with a stock i7 920. So today I cleaned off all the old paste and reseated the h50 with some arctic silver. System now idled at 42C and now that I am under load its at 79C. Which is now even worse than the first install with better paste.

I have no idea what the problem is here. All fan controls are disabled in bios and testing was done with prime95 and real temp 3. I can't believe that the h50 isn't doing any better than the stock hs.

Case has 2 front intakes rear/h50 intake and 1 top exhaust. Case temps around 50C. i7 is a D0 SLBEJ Batch# 3913B097.

Any ideas?

Edit: Case side removed, Idle 42C Load 74C GPU 51C Case 46C. Checked screws and tightened down more.

Rather than deleting this topic which I had indented I figured I would post the solution that I seem to have found.

After much anger and shock I figured I would do a 180 and change everything!

1) I repasted and reseated the H50 (3rd time)

2) I added the corsair OEM fan back to the radiator with the noctua.

3) Now having 2 fans on the radiator I reversed the air flow so it now exhausted air from the case rather than in. In a noctua (push) corsair (Pull) set up.

4) My two front fans pull air in, the top/psu/h50 all vent air out. Simple setup, in front, rear exit.

Now for the somewhat odd part.. I tested this fully closed (case) and saw idle temps at 37 and load at about 68 under load. A much much better result. The odd part comes in now that I have done a slight overclock to 3.3Ghz 21x160.

With the new 3.3 OC idle temps went to 44C and under load they have held stable at 65C. Case is 44C and GPU 49C. I am unsure as to why temps would drop after overclocking but it may have been caused by a change in the vcore to 1.10v.

Credit for the exhausting dual fan config goes to http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/1/ .

Next step will be to replace all case fans with noctua's and reseat with arctic silver mx-2 when the box gets here. I hope my experience will help anyone having problems and give them hints as where to look for them.

Small update.

With all case fans now noctua's and 2 doing push and pull exhausting heat from the case on the H50 plus MX-2. I was able to overclock to 4.0GHz with my H50. System ran stable under prime95 for over an hour and the highest temp hit was 79C.

Average was about 77C under load and 48C idle. The H50 is an amazing product, thank you Corsair.

• 2 weeks later...
Small update.

With all case fans now noctua's and 2 doing push and pull exhausting heat from the case on the H50 plus MX-2. I was able to overclock to 4.0GHz with my H50. System ran stable under prime95 for over an hour and the highest temp hit was 79C.

Average was about 77C under load and 48C idle. The H50 is an amazing product, thank you Corsair.

I recently bought a h50 and have a similar problem. I have a Intel 920 and at max load with stock clocks I get a temp of 63 C. If I over clock it to 4 GHz and use prime95 to max load it, my temps go up to 75C. Just seems strange that there is only a 12 C rise for over clocking over 1 GHz. While running stock the temps at max load aren't that great.

I'm wondering if x58 motherboards also use the cpu heatsink fan to keep other parts cool as well. Which may be why the cpu is not as cool as it should be with the h50 at stock settings. It could be heating up due to other components on the board. Anyone using an h50 that gets really low temps at max load with stock settings? If you do please let me know if you have any other after market coolers on your motherboard.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading all the above is there a ruff average for the H50 coolers im also running 2 fans on a push pull config and getting an average of about 36c at stock speed using an I7?

I did put this rig together with overclocking in mind however now im not so sure :[pouts:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/simoncordt/Computer%20Stuff/DSC00087.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Core i7-920, and with this talk I am beginning to feel a little concerned that my paste is either not even, or something else is up. When I was looking at the H50 processor pad, with the thermal paste already being applied, it looked very even to me pre-installation. The installation was done a month or more ago.

My core temps, measured with Real Temp 3.00 are:

Core 0 - 36

Core 1 - 32

Core 2 - 40

Core 3 - 32

Since I am using Real Temp 3.00 to measure the temps, I read that it needed to be calibrated. This means that the temps should be 5-6C above ambient room temp, according to the documentation, and that you need to 'calibrate' it based on those values. On the other hand, I don't want to 'mask' a real issue.

With that, I have some cleaner and some AS5, so I could replace the pre-applied paste... but I don't want to if there is the possibility that the sensors need to be calibrated as is described in Real Temp documentation.

Any thoughts on what to do? I just don't think that the variance between core temps should be 5-8C (40-45F). :confused:

Stock clocks, running the Corsair fan on PWM (BIOS has it stay above 50%, so its constantly at 1000RPM), i get high 30ºC idle temps, ~58ºC average for 100% loads (only 15 mins though). best part, its running as an exhaust, with the corsair on pull duty.

P193 with the farther top fan at low, the one above the CPU block is at medium (funny thing, ran it at low before and I watched the RPMs for the corsair hit 1015 avg RPM, with it on medium it dropped to 995 avg)

these numbers don't seem to "off the charts" - is there anything special about those fans (nocuta) that would warrant using them over an other fan beside noise levels?

I've looked around, and discovered that some people find the noctua fans are not the best with pressure (despite their ratings), the Gentle Typhoons appear to be the fan of choice for radiator setups (or restrictive air flow) not running on Deltas/38mm.

• 2 months later...

+1 for GT fans

I have 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm fans on a push-pull setting intaking the air from outside of the case. Right now the temp hits around 61c at full load @ 4.0GHz on my i7 920. But still wanna to give 38mm thick fans a try....

• 4 months later...

I just set this up in push/pull - pulling in cool air; still working on finding the max overclock. At 4.0GHz, I was getting this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3737108/cpuburn.png

A day later, I clocked it down to 3.7GHz:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3737108/p6t/heat37.png

is there anything special about those fans (nocuta) that would warrant using them over an other fan beside noise levels?

Unique design that is said to push more air through dense fin arrangements (static pressure). You can typically feel 'blowback' from most fans. In my case, exhausting out of the case in a push pull, with the Scythe S-flex 1600rpm fan I am using to push, you can feel that some of the air hitting the radiator is deflecting back into the case. So in theory, the Noctua fans help with that.

Having owned a Noctua HSF before, I can vouch for the performance, but I never got a chance to use them on the H50. And you also get a 6 year warranty on the fans...

But as far as temps, I see a benefit in load temps, where they typically stay at around 60-61c under load at 3.5GHz/1.2v (i7-920). Im not terribly happy with idle temps, though. As they are around 35-38c, which is around a 3-6c jump from the Noctua HSF.

There is also an issue that has been raised about re-tightening the radiator a few times after install. The idea that cycles of heat eventually loosen the radiator. I saw this in mine, where I was able to turn the screws fairly easy, maybe a 1/4 turn a few days after install. But temps didn't appear to respond either way. Air would have gotten between the paste and CPU anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Core i7-920, and with this talk I am beginning to feel a little concerned that my paste is either not even, or something else is up. When I was looking at the H50 processor pad, with the thermal paste already being applied, it looked very even to me pre-installation. The installation was done a month or more ago.

My core temps, measured with Real Temp 3.00 are:

Core 0 - 36

Core 1 - 32

Core 2 - 40

Core 3 - 32

Since I am using Real Temp 3.00 to measure the temps, I read that it needed to be calibrated. This means that the temps should be 5-6C above ambient room temp, according to the documentation, and that you need to 'calibrate' it based on those values. On the other hand, I don't want to 'mask' a real issue.

With that, I have some cleaner and some AS5, so I could replace the pre-applied paste... but I don't want to if there is the possibility that the sensors need to be calibrated as is described in Real Temp documentation.

Any thoughts on what to do? I just don't think that the variance between core temps should be 5-8C (40-45F). :confused:

So, I went ahead and did the repaste with AS5 about a month or so ago as my temps began to rise. I then did a secondary repaste in an attempt to gain some better performance. With the ambient temp in this room having increased about 7 degrees F, I am now getting the following idle temps measured using RealTemp 3.40:

Core 0 - 44

Core 1 - 41

Core 2 - 47

Core 3 - 41

So, I still have a temp difference of 3-6 degrees C. I took a temp reading of the case and am seeing about 79 degrees F (26.1C). I should be getting about 5-6C difference between ambient and CPU temp - and I'm not, as evidence above.

Any thoughts? I'm a little perplexed. It's interesting that Core 2 is still the outlier.

Thats strange....mine is not like that? Is that the new batch of i7?

Here is mine no AC, room temp is 29-30C

Nope, not new. I have had this processor for about 1.5 Years. i7-920 running 3.2GHz when it should be running 2.66GHz.

At first, with OEM cooling, this thing was running a good 60-70C. Once I replaced the cooling unit with the H50, the temp dropped by 30C - which was totally crazy, I thought. The only thing I found odd was that I had Core 2 ALWAYS running hotter than the others. Knowing how the cores are positioned in this package, this shouldn't happen.

That's when I decided to repaste with AS5 to see if this would help - don't think I helped that much, if at all. :o:

Check all your voltages, and if anything is on auto find the intel spec for it and key it in manually. My board was "automatically" giving my 920 2.24V out of the box, which I think might've jeapordized my Intel warranty >:|

1) I have an i7-860 (two actually) and both had at least one core temp several degrees C different than the others. My current CPU has two low and two high with about a four C difference at idle.

2) I have found, through extensive testing, that the relationship between CPU core temperatures and ambient room temperature is greater than one. The H50 heatsink was designed seperately assuming a constant coolent temperature of 25C, which suggests either mild OC'ing or low ambient room temperatures, see;

Optimization of Liquid Cooled Microchannels (PDF)

• 1 year later...
+1 for GT fans

I have 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm fans on a push-pull setting intaking the air from outside of the case. Right now the temp hits around 61c at full load @ 4.0GHz on my i7 920. But still wanna to give 38mm thick fans a try....

yes! i am doing the same thing. 2x GentleTyphoon 1850rpm pouring to H50. However i have some issues.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4600/prime951.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4439/airflowq.jpg

You can see the temperatures right? 91 Celsius even at prime95 100% load..

What is interesting is that

1) The motherboard alert is on and should beep at 90celsius

2) The heat doesn't seem to be at 90c near the base of H50. I am willing to take a polymeter and measure heat near the cpu today.

3) do you see in the picture the IT IT8720F part where it measures cpu temp at 70C? Do you see that minimum on that line is the 49C, just 5 Celsius less than the minimum of cpu cores temp at idle?

Is there a possibility that the higher the temperatures of the cpu/clock/voltage the less accurate becomes the measuring of temperature from the cpu digital thermal sensors?

Considering i had this setup for 2 summers and just this summer makes me so much strange numbers, is it possible that the digital thermal sensors have deteriorated?

I already have an rma open case to forward in corsair about the H50, Because i think it's performance has deteriorated, however by watching this hwmonitor i have second thoughts.

what do you guys think?

update1 . Using the temperature prod of a digital polymeter, i touched the outskirts of the metal cover of the cpu, just 1-2 cm under the H50 base, and it didn't show up more than 52celsius, I dont believe that 5 centimeters further in on the same plate metal the temperature is 91+celsius. I believe max 20degrees could be possible.. that would make the IT ITE the proper measurer of my cpu temp at this moment.. What do you guys think its right?

Is my H50 deteriorated making my cpu 91+celsius? I do hear bubble sounds occasionaly. Or the digital thermal sensors of the cpu have lost their balance?

Yesterday I finally got the last parts in and begun building my new i7 rig. At first I put it all together to make sure no parts were doa before I messed around with it more.

So H50+Noctua pulling air into case and corsair oem paste ran on the system for 24hrs as I stress tested stuff and installed various drivers etc. Temps from Real Temp 3.0 reported as 75C under load and about 45C idle.

These temps were horrible as most people can OC at that temp but this was with a stock i7 920. So today I cleaned off all the old paste and reseated the h50 with some arctic silver. System now idled at 42C and now that I am under load its at 79C. Which is now even worse than the first install with better paste.

I have no idea what the problem is here. All fan controls are disabled in bios and testing was done with prime95 and real temp 3. I can't believe that the h50 isn't doing any better than the stock hs.

Case has 2 front intakes rear/h50 intake and 1 top exhaust. Case temps around 50C. i7 is a D0 SLBEJ Batch# 3913B097.

Any ideas?

Edit: Case side removed, Idle 42C Load 74C GPU 51C Case 46C. Checked screws and tightened down more.

Yes i have an idea of your issue

Ii is called "LOAD LINE CALIBRATION - ENABLED" in your motherboard BIOS

You can make a reasearch on it but it seems for Gigabyte motherboards its good to have it enabled if you are overclocking, keeps voltage spikes milder thus less hot cpu at overclocks. For Asus motherboards it works a bit differently. as i said you can google it and read stuff.

Archived