Corsair Community

DX58SO and TR3XG1600C9 Hang on Boot

garrettt

I have the Intel DX58SO motherboard with a i7-920 CPU. I have installed TR3XG1600C9 (3 sticks, total of 6GB). Everything works great, with one exception. The system hangs when rebooting (or shutting down and then restarting). It doesn't even POST, just a hang at a black screen. When this occurs:

1. Restart system from Windows XP (or shut down).

2. System shuts down normally.

3. System starts up for about 5 seconds, then shuts down again.

4. System starts up again, then will hang forever at a black screen (no video, no POST).

The work around is to leave the system turned off for at least 5-10 minutes, then it will start up fine (until the next reboot).

I have tried all troubleshooting steps I can think of (including, but not limited to: reseat memory, different memory timings, only one memory stick, different power supply, different HDD mode settings (RAID, IDE), etc.). Nothing seems to be overheating that I can detect. I am not over clocking in any way.

Has anyone ever encountered this or have any ideas? Thanks,

Garrett

I have the Intel DX58SO motherboard with a i7-920 CPU. I have installed TR3XG1600C9 (3 sticks, total of 6GB). Everything works great, with one exception. The system hangs when rebooting (or shutting down and then restarting). It doesn't even POST, just a hang at a black screen. When this occurs:

3. System starts up for about 5 seconds, then shuts down again.

4. System starts up again, then will hang forever at a black screen (no video, no POST).

The work around is to leave the system turned off for at least 5-10 minutes, then it will start up fine (until the next reboot).

I have tried all troubleshooting steps I can think of (including, but not limited to: reseat memory, different memory timings, only one memory stick, different power supply, different HDD mode settings (RAID, IDE), etc.). Nothing seems to be overheating that I can detect. I am not over clocking in any way.

Has anyone ever encountered this or have any ideas? Thanks,

Garrett

When you say the system starts and then shuts down after 5 seconds, and then starts again, that is the bios watchdog that kicks in.

When the system cant start with the current settings, the watchdog resets the settings and restarts automaticly.

This feature can be disabled in the bios but it probably wont help.

I'm having similar problems, I have the same motherboard and memory myself.

After disabling the watchdog, the double restart no longer occurs. However, the hang is still present. So now it is:

3. System starts up again, then will hang forever at a black screen (no video, no POST).

Thanks again, for the suggestion. I will be trying different RAM as soon as the order arrives to rule out the memory (hopefully).

Garrett

Yes, I have the latest BIOS (v4196). I have tried the memory in all combinations (single, dual, and triple). I have reloaded BIOS defaults (several times) and even removed the CMOS battery and let the machine sit (as recommended by Intel support). For the memory timing settings, I have tried automatic, XMP, and manual (XMP with slightly reduced voltage). In all cases, Memtest86+ has not found any errors.

I have ordered different memory (1333, another brand), just to rule out if it is a memory issue (should be here early next week). I'm open to any suggestions and appreciate the help. Thanks,

Garrett

I have the same problem. Sometimes the board does not POST on boot (or reboot) and hangs on a black screen before anything appears on the screen. I usually have to turn off the p/s and press the Power button until all the voltage drains from the board, wait a while, and then it will boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived