Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3 + TWIN2X4096-8500C5D = BSOD

Sparky666

I am problems with this ram on my GA-EP45-UD3 motherboard. When I originally installed the ram all seemed fine for about 3 days, I then had a BSOD with a stop error indicating a memory error. On reboot I ran Memtest 2.11 which reported lots of errors.

I then checked the bois settings which where all set to auto and seemed to be correct. I decided to manually set Ram timings 5-5-5-15 and set DRam Voltage to 2.1v. On reboot memory passed a complete run of Memtest so I thought the problem was solved.

I left the machine on overnight and the next morning found it with a BSOD error, I rebooted and ran memtest and the Ram failed almost straight away. I then went back into Bios but setttings were OK.

I have:

- Reinstalled windows XP Pro SP3

- I have updated MB Bios to the latest version

- Increased Dram voltage to 2.16 to see it this would stabilise the ram with no luck.

-Swapped ram slots

One time I ran memtest for a couple of passes with no problems I have then booted into windows and used the machine for 8Hrs without crashing. I then decided to run prime95 which had 3 cores fail. I then rebooted and ran memtest and the memory failed almost straight away.

If i send this Ram back it will probably pass testing so stuck as to how to proceed. I am currently trying one stick at time to see if this has any effect.

Is there an issue with this Ram and the Gigabyte MB’s?

I have read through numerous posts with similar problems to me. And like other people these ram sticks seemed to work fine for a while and then I just started getting BSOD errors indicating a ram issue.

The thing is that when I boot into windows I can run Prime95 to test and stress the CPU and the RAM. They both perform fine and I have left it running for hours. After I have shutdown the stress testing programs, I continue to use the PC as normal for anything up to 24hrs+ and then blam, BSOD. Often with the dreaded ‘irql not less or equal’ message.

If I run memtest directly after a BSOD and I get loads of memory errors, but if I turn off the machine for a few minutes then reboot memtest will generally run with no errors.

I have followed RAM Guy's instructions as to ram timings & voltage changes (from other posts). That is to say I've used his recommended BIOS settings and have tested each DIMM independently in both memory slots and they both pass with Memtest 2.11.

One time I ran memtest for a couple of passes with no problems I have then booted into windows and used the machine for 8Hrs+ without crashing. I then decided to run prime95 which reported 3 cores fail. I then rebooted and ran memtest and the memory failed almost immediately.

I have also tried:

- Reinstalled windows XP Pro SP3

- I have updated MB Bios to the latest version and cleared CMOS

- Increased Dram voltage to 2.16 to see it this would stabilise the ram with no luck.

- Loosened Ram timings.

- Swapped ram slots

- Tried single sticks.

I also have the problem that if I RMA these sticks then the shop I bought them from will test them and they will probably pass the testing and I will get stuck with a $35 bill for them testing non faulty ram.

I did previously have another manufactures ram in this system and had none of these issues.

I am really at my wits end as to how to proceed, can anyone help?

Thanks Sparky

Firstly I apologise for the double post, I could not find how to deleted original post.

There are a couple of reasons why still suspect this to be a memory issue.

1. Just by quickly trolling the forums I have found a number of posts from people with the same problem as me.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=79303&highlight=8500

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=80741&highlight=8500c5d

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=75406&highlight=8500c5d

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=79820&highlight=8500c5d

2. This system was working perfectly fine until I replaced the ******** DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC8500 1066Mhz ******** for the TWIN2X4096-8500C5D ram.

I recently ran Memtest 2.11 with both sticks installed with 5-5-5-15 2.1V and MCH 1.2V and ran through 15 passes with no errors. Then after running windows for ~24hrs I decided to do a restart and run memtest again and surprise surprise they failed memtest.

I am trying to get my old ram back so I can run the system how it was before these issues started.

Also what settings do I change in the Bios to get these running @800Mhz instead of 1066Mhz so i can run some tests at this speed.

• Corsair Employees

I dont have a problem replacing the modules but if you had other memory running in the system, you should load setup defaults and then set the tested settings for these modules to be sure and test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

If you do find one is failing them Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

A quick update:

I did try all the settings / configurations of timings, voltages etc that had been suggested in other posts, I even removed cmos battery to ensure cmos setting were completely reset. I also tried theses sticks one at time and was still having instability issues.

I have now put my old Kingston DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC8500 1066Mhz HyperX back into the system. This ram has been running @ 5-5-5-15 2.2v continuously for the last 3 days now and there has been no instability with the system. It seems there is either an issue with the stability of the Twin2X4096 over time or an incompatibility with the gigabyte motherboard.

Archived