Corsair Community

Flash Voyager GT (read-only) question

StanTeate

I purchased Flash Voyager GT 8, 16, 32, and 128GB drives, over some time. I recently tried the 128 GB in my Dell Mini 9 w/ XP-32 for a backup. I received a drive full error message. Being brand new, I knew the drive was not full. I looked at the properties of the directory I created to put the backup in and it displayed, read-only, so I tried to remove the check in the read-only box, only to see it appear again when I selected properties again. I could create directories but not copy files onto the drive. I took out the 128 GB drive and tried the same with 32, 16, and 8 GB drives, all with the same results. I tried a Patriot 64 GB and did not have any issues with it. Next I, booted to Ubuntu Jaunty on the same pc and copied a 4GB file onto the 8 GB Voyager GT, so Ubuntu did not see the drive as read-only like XP did.

I came across this forum and saw the suggestion to format the drive with the FormatTool, then try writing to it. Using XP, I downloaded the FormatTool and ran it but it did not populate the drive field with anything and would not allow me to input a drive letter in the drive field, so I formatted the 8GB Flash Voyager GT drive using XP format. I copied a file to the drive but again, I see the folders show a check mark in the read-only field of the properties window.

Why is this happening?

BTW, I tried the Flash Voyager GT 128GB in my shuttle SP35P2 and I do not have the "read-only" problem, it works fine using Vista-32.

Regards,

Stan Teate

• 1 month later...

I tried the "Format Utility for HC Flash Drives 64 Gig and Larger" utility. The Flash Voyager GT 128 GB drive does not show up in the drop down list. I tried removing the drive and reinserting it to see if it would find it and it did not. Using XP, I right clicked on the drive and selected format. XP sees the drive but does not display a FS type, like FAT32. Nothing is populated in the drop down menu. This utility did see my Flash VoyagerGT 64GB and format it.

BTW, the SD-Card Organization did format my Flash VoyagerGT 16 and 32. Just don't know what to do with the Corsair 128GB.

Stan Teate

Archived