Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C8 / Asus P6T Deluxe V2 DRAM Frequency issue

killy3000

Hi there,

I have just completed the build of a new system. Once i had finished putting it all together, I started windows and ran a Prime95 test. At this point, all of the settings in the BIOS were at their default level (i.e. no overclocking) and the blended test ran fine for around 3 hours at which point i ended it. I then noticed that CPU-Z showed that the DRAM frequency was only circa 532mhz rather than 800mhz so i found Ram Guy's post "Core I7 MB Settings By X58 MB!" in the memory compatibility forum and input the relevant settings exactly as shown in his post, leaving everything else in the bios at the default settings. When i rebooted, the DRAM frequency showed at 800mhz in CPU-Z so i kicked off another blended test in prime 95. Within less than a minute, one of the 8 'workers' failed and within the next couple of minutes another 3 failed also. I have repeated the test several times and get similar results each time although there isnt any pattern as to which cores/threads fail, it seems to be different each time. If i return all of the settings to the default level, the tests all work fine but the DRAM frequency returns to 532mhz.

I would appreciate any assistance you could provide on this issue as I am keen to get on with overclocking my cpu but i suspect I should make sure that the system is stable at stock levels before pushing it any further.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The CPU is an i7 920 D0 and I am already on the latest version of the bios. I am at work at the moment so I will try what you recommended later re: the XMP profile when i get home and will report back the results.

I have done the following additional testing since my original post:

(i) I ran memtest for about 18 hours with no errors with the memory running at 1600mhz. I used the settings from Ramguys post as referenced in my original posting above.

(ii) I ran the Prime 95 blended test a few more times after the memtest and had exactly the same issues as noted in my original post

(iii) I started the "small fft" test on prime 95 last night at around midnight and it was still running this morning without any errors 8 hours later. I have left this running while i am at work so by the time i get home it will have been going for around 18 hours or so. I will post the results of this also when i get home tonight.

Testing update:

When i got home, the Prime95 small fft test had been running for over 19 hours with no errors at all.

I reset the system, restored the bios defaults and enabled the xmp profile 1 and then restarted. I ran the prime95 "large fft" test which tests some memory and it failed after 8 minutes. I reran it a few more times with similar results.

I then ran the "blended test" which tests lots of RAM and it failed within 2 minutes. Again, I reran the test a few more times with similar results.

Any thoughts?

Hi there, thanks for all the suggestions so far but i am afraid i'm still having problems.

I tried setting the QPI to 1.4 and each time i ran the blended fft test it failed within 2 minutes. I then upped the qpi to 1.45 and the test also failed within 2 minutes. I ran the tests 5-6 times at each of the voltage levels with the same results every time.

I didn't raise the voltage any further as i have a D0 stepping cpu.

I believe i do have the latest bios. The version i am running is "0504" and it is the latest version offered by the AsusUpdate software.

I did some more testing of single sticks and can report the following:

Stick 1 only - test failed repeatedly within a couple of minutes

Stick 2 only - ran the test for 1 hour with no errors. Test was stopped manually by me.

Stick 3 only - ran the test for 1 hour with no errors. Test was stopped manually by me.

Further testing update.

I tried testing 2 sticks at once and can report the following:

Stick 1 & Stick 2 - test failed repeatedly within a couple of minutes

Stick 2 & Stick 3 - ran the test for 7 hours with no errors. Test was stopped manually by me.

Stick 1 & Stick 3 - not tested yet as i had to go to work. Will test later today when i get home.

I just tested stick 1 stick 3 together and the test failed within a minute or so. I ran the test several times with the same result.

In summary then, the single and dual stick tests that exclude stick 1 all ran without error. The single dual and triple stick tests that include stick 1 all presented errors within a short time of commencing the testing.

Is it a safe conclusion based on the results of the testing performed that there is an issue with stick 1? It seems logical to me but I'm not exactly a RAM expert!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived