Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R and TWINX4096-8500C5D

Borkar

In my case, the system won't post after loading "setup defaults" in the BIOS. Instead, it keeps beeping (long) for at least 20 times and reboots automatically. Then it beeps for ~20 times again and posts. Then the system seems to run just fine (memtest runs without errors), however, some things have changed by the mainbord (e.g. timings are 5-7-7-24 insted of 5-5-5-15). When I load setup defaults, the same story starts again.

Q1: How can I find out what exactly has changed by the mainboard (compared to the SPD defaults)?

Moreover I assume that the mainboard did way more (in order to make it work) than would be necessary. So what is really causing this problem?

However, since I read that e.g. CJS has also problems with the same combination, I really doubt that this is ever going to work reliably.

I assume that the RAM may have the chance to work reliably with 800Mhz rather than 1066. Since I do not overclock, I guess this would not matter since the FSB is slower anyway(?). (RAM are in dual channel mode).

Q2: How to make the RAM work with 800 Mhz by changing as few settings as possible? (Do not really want to deal with all these advanced settings if not necessary). Is it enough just to set the "Memory Frequency" and leave the rest on "auto"?

Mainboard manual: http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3®_e.pdf

Thank you for your help!

Martin

I think that the Administrators here would prefer if you began your own thread about this issue.

But for now, I'll ask you this.

Did you perform a full CMOS clear?

Instead of crossing the CMOS pins with a screwdriver, unplug the power supply and remove the CMOS battery. Leave it out for app. 15-20 minutes.

Put it back in, plug it back in, power up.

Go into BIOS, LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS, SAVE & EXIT.

Go back into BIOS and set your memory module timings and voltage per what is indicated on the sticker.

Try that.

:wall:I just got here and I know the Mods are going to kill me for trying to help solve two issues with two different systems in one thread.

Sorry guys.

So this is what has happened:

I set manually in BIOS:

Performance Enhancement (whatever that is...): [Turbo] -> Standard

DRAM Voltage: [auto = 2.1V] -> 2.2V

Result: No more beeping when I swith on the pc. No errors in memtest (2x passed all tests).

BUT: Bluescreen during installation of Windows.

Next try:

DRAM Voltage: [auto = 2.1V] -> 2.2V

MCH Voltage: [auto = 1.1V] -> 1.16V

Result: No more beeping when I swith on the pc. No errors in memtest (2x passed all tests). No bluescreens.

BUT: After Windows was installed on a RAID 1 configuration, sooner or later the RAID broke down ! The status of the RAID was set to "initializing" instead of "normal" and HD access became extremely slow. This was reproducable. (I installed Windows three times!)

Next try:

DRAM Voltage: [auto = 2.1V] -> 2.1V (manuallly set)

MCH Voltage: [auto = 1.1V] -> auto

Extreme Memory Profile: [auto = Profile 2 activated] -> Disabled (=> Timings are now 5-7-7-24 instead of 5-5-5-15)

Result: No more beeping when I switch on the pc. No errors in memtest (overnight test, 14 passes). No bluescreens. RAID is stable (since yesterday evening). Temps are ok. 3dMark06 is ok. Everest benchmarks are all fine. Everest stress test runs without complications.

If it keeps being stable, I will leave the settings like this. The overall performance is ok for me. I will update this thread if the computer breaks down again. Else this topic is closed for me.

Hope this report may help some people.

Best regards,

Martin aka Borkar

UPDATE:

ok, after about half a day permanent testing, the beeps at booting started again. I increased the DRAM voltage slightly (2.1V -> 2.12V) but the first thing that happend after is that the RAID collapsed.

Trying 800Mhz and 5-5-5-18 now. If this does not work, I will return the mainboard AND the RAM. Wasted already two months with this....

Archived