Corsair Community

P128 - "self healing" when idle?

Schnulla

We know that the P128 with Firmware-Version VBM18C1Q is able to do some kind of self healing (delete free memory space) on idle times.

But what exactly means idle? I read that some people think the system (Windows 7 for example) must be in standby to make the P128 run its self healing? Is that true?

Or does the P128 also run this cleanup after some minutes without read or write access? If that is true, I guess the drive will never run the cleanup because windows or installed programs always do some disk access in the background... for example logging, indexing or whatever...

Or how is the start of this automatic self healing triggered? :confused:

For me it is not transparent but I want to be sure it is triggered ;)

Please enlighten me! Thanks a lot!

• Corsair Employees

All you need to do is cold-boot your system (no reset - shut it down completely and reboot) and leave it idle (which means don´t do anything with it) for one hour.

Windowas or any other backup programms actually won´t have any negative effect here at all.

Windowas or any other backup programms actually won´t have any negative effect here at all.

Ok so I guess the cleaning starts if the disk usage is very low

ignoring all the logging stuff which windows does in the background.

I ask that because in Windows 7 Performance Monitor there

is ALWAYS read/write access to folders like:

C:\Windows\Prefetch\...

C:\$Logfile (NTFS Volume Log)

C:\$Mft (NTFS Master File Table)

...and more, so if idle would mean there shouldn't be any write/read

operations the cleaning would never start. But I understand your

post that this is not the meaning of idle in case of our P128.

You can use this one, it's free.

Thanks I just installed the program to check my drives firmware and it looks like my firmware is different to the VBM18C1Q mentioned in this thread mine is VBM1801Q I think the last letter is Q or is it a o I can't be sure this is a screenshot of what the program said http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8237/capturefpu.jpg

Because my firmware is different to the one in this thread does that mean my P128 drive does not have the self healing feature.

Capture.jpg.cf2214e8fcd8c9c12df99257710e1c12.jpg

• Corsair Employees
That is the method to get the drive to start the procedure, but it is my understanding that when the system is idle for more than one hour it will do that in the back ground. I will see if we can get more of an explanation on that feature. But it may take some time.

• Corsair Employees

There was an article on Tweak Town about this and it is a great read, I have asked for an explanation but I suspect the answers will be basically the same information as posted in that article.

Brief Description

-When user deletes files in operating system, it deletes only on file system but data itself still remains as invalid.

-Therefore drive takes up unnecessary physical blocks of NAND with invalid data, which requires additional operation later. -Maintains the overall performance of SSD similar to the initial condition of SSD.

Basic Operation Description

-Detects the invalid blocks resulted from the delete operation of file system then secures free blocks which can be utilized for better write performance.

Operating Condition

-Currently is operated and verified only on Microsoft Windows NTFS system.

-Function is initialized only when SSD is powered on after normal power-off/cold boot. Max recovery time is up to 1 hour depending on the state of the drive. Idle state is recommended in between this 1 hour time frame.

-SSD cannot be in full disk state condition. We recommend 15% of the drive free.

Idle state is recommended in between this 1 hour time frame.

Mhm unfortunately that does not answer my question what

exactly idle means considering that windows does a lot of

background write operations(logging, recovery, indexing...).

• Corsair Employees
The term is open to interpretation but I would expect it to mean for example if you turn the system on and log in to windows and then do not access any applications just let it set idle in Windows. And I would suggest that you have any power management or screen savers turned off.

• 1 month later...

Today I tested if the self healing is really triggered.

I did a cold boot and let the PC idle at the Windows 7 login screen.

After 1 hour I scanned my drive with Avira Unerase and all

deleted files were still there! I was even able to recover them.

So it seems the automatic cleanup is not triggered? :sigh!:

• Corsair Employees

But you are still using the Beta version is that correct?

And it has still not been released yet officially and even when it is it will take sometime for these things to settle down, doing anything now would be premature.

Archived