Corsair Community

TWINX4096-8500C5D and Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

CJS

Hi -

I am also experiencing similar problems with reboots with the 4GB of 8500C5D memory. Origionally I ran memtest and reported 1k+ errors with a MSI P43 Neo3-F. I had the ram RMA'd and things settled down. Then, about three weeks later, BSOD/Freezes started hapening.

I swaped memory from my comptuer with my other system and the memory ran fine in my system. About 2 weeks later started getting BSOD/Freezes on my computer.

Since then, i've reinstalled the OS multiple times same results. After dealing with MSI's horrible customer support for over 1 month, I decided to purchase a new MB. This is where the EP45-UD3R came into play.

Less than 24 hours later crash/freezes/reboots. So I switched my E6600 for the E7400 processor and the system booted. About 8 hours later, crash again.

After reading others post about problems with the dominator memory (runnning at 2.1v and 5-5-5-15 btw) i'm wondering if there's some compatability issues with the P43/P45 chipset or something.

Anyone offer any advise suggestions? I'm at my wit's end!

Good evening Chuck.

4GB is 2x2GB. I dont overclock my systems. I've never felt the justification (nothing wrong with that if you wish to do it. I've just never wanted to). If I wanted to run faster i'll get a faster processor.

My power supply is a OCZ Fatal1ty 550W ATX12V / EPS12V.

I can do the 5-5-5-15 easily, but honestly the other advanced memory settings are just something i've never had to deal with before. I can try your recommendiation. Any other thing I could try?

Thanks btw for the quick reply!!

Chris

Good evening Chuck.

4GB is 2x2GB. I dont overclock my systems. I've never felt the justification (nothing wrong with that if you wish to do it. I've just never wanted to). If I wanted to run faster i'll get a faster processor.

My power supply is a ******** Fatal1ty 550W ATX12V / EPS12V.

I can do the 5-5-5-15 easily, but honestly the other advanced memory settings are just something i've never had to deal with before. I can try your recommendiation. Any other thing I could try?

Thanks btw for the quick reply!!

Chris

E7400 is a pretty quick little CPU. I have an E7300 on an I45 and it kicks butt.

I just put a system together using an EP45-ud3r but I haven't really had a chance to get into all of the BIOS tweaks.

Try this:

DRAM PERFORMANCE CONTROL

Performance Enhance - [standard]

DRAM TIMING SELECTABLE - [ENTER]- [MANUAL]

5-5-5-15

ADVANCED TIMING CONTROL - [ENTER]

tRFC - 52

Leave the rest at [AUTO]

MCH CORE - [1.20v]

DRAM VOLTAGE - 2.1v

See if that helps.

Well I put all that into the bios and the system started up and left it logged in and went to bed.

I came downstairs this morning to the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again Chuck btw :)

Well I put all that into the bios and the system started up and left it logged in and went to bed.

I came downstairs this morning to the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again Chuck btw :)

It could easily be an issue with the power supply. There are a lot of multirail units that simply can't provide adequate power delivery to video cards like the 4850 and the system itself.

But before you cross that bridge, be sure that your CPU cooler is mounted securely, then test each module individually with MEMTEST, using the specified module timings and voltage.

Report back with your results.

Thanks Chuck! I have an open RMA for the processor so I sent that out early this morning. I will also purchase a new heatsink online (been using the stock one and honestly I really don't like it). Once that comes back i'll give you a status update.

Kindest regards,

Chris

Thanks Chuck! I have an open RMA for the processor so I sent that out early this morning. I will also purchase a new heatsink online (been using the stock one and honestly I really don't like it). Once that comes back i'll give you a status update.

Kindest regards,

Chris

Good luck!

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Just a quick update. New processor came in so I installed it. I also orders a new Heat Sink and fan.

Same problems :(

So I rebooted the system and re-ran memtest and tons of errors with both sticks. So I removed one and ran one at a time. Got tons of errors on one stick and none on the second.

I went and completed the online RMA.

The problem, this is the second set of ram from Corsair that is defective. What are the odds of that? I understand the lifetime warrenty, but another two weeks without a system so I can ship defective parts back is a bit annoying. Any chance of keeping the good stick of ram and running the system on one till the replacement comes?

Is that even possible?

• 1 month later...

So I got my second set of replacement memory and ran memtest and no errors!! Things work for about a week then same things. Blue Screens, random reboots. After a BSOD I re-ran memtest and had the following output:

MEMTEST Output

Now what... Once again, the system is not usable :(

Thanks for the reply Wired. When both run seperatly there are no errors. When I cold boot the system there are no errors either. It appears, that after the computer BSOD/Freezes and I do a warm reboot and I run memtest the errors come.

Ok, so the computer has been running for about 15 hours. I came into the room this afternoon and it had rebooted and memtest autoran (since I left it in) so I could tell when it happened. Here is what i saw:

Memory Error vid

So,

Running Memtest on a warm reboot shows error. Running Memtest on a cold boot doesn't.

Every piece of hardware has been replaced, and this happens with multiple operating systems (Vista, Win 7).

Any thoughts?

That's why I asked which memtest that was. The version in the video (memtest v3.4) is 2 years old and not the one that's recommended. Use the one on the sidebar, Memtest86+ v4.00. It may detect something that old version won't.

Ram Guy -

Thanks for the reply. I have replaced the Motherboard and CPU. I origionally had the problem with a MSI board, but switched to the GB board. I RMA'd the CPU from Intel (just in case).

System runs stable for about 10 hours, then bsod. Once system BSOD the system will continue to crash until I cold boot ths system. Once the system is started from a cold boot, I have another 10 hours or so before the next BSOD. Almost every (the case hasn't been replaced) piece of hardware has been replaced (The memory three times). I would try some 800 speed memory if I had the sticks available. I'm just about out of options on what to try next.

What are the odds that three sets of memory are bad? And all three sets have the same symptoms. No problems with MEMTEST on cold boots. After system is up and running and crashes, on warm reboot memtest shows a bunch of errors.

The only piece of hardware that hasn't been replaced is the power supply. It's a 550W. The computer only runs office apps and IE. Games aren't played on it (outside solitare).

I have some CM2X1024-6400C4 that I could populate in it. Its the memory that is running in my sytem. It's stable and never reboots/crashes. I'm assuming I need to adjust the voltage and timings. It's 1.8v and 4-4-4-12 correct?

If I put 2gb of ram in it, do I need to adjust the Advanced Timing control tRFC to something other than 52 and the MCH core to something other than 1.2V?

Another question.

If I run the TWINX4096-8500C5D in my system (no the system having problems but the system under "My PC Specs") which only has a 800Mhz bus, should I keep the timing at 5-5-5-15 and run the bus speed at 1.8v?

• Corsair Employees

CM2X1024-6400C4 should be 2.1 Volts at DDR800 Cas 4-4-4-12

And what you have posted would suggest the problem may not be the memory and I would suggest testing on a known working system that supports that speed with out over clocking.

• 1 month later...
E7400 is a pretty quick little CPU. I have an E7300 on an I45 and it kicks butt.

I just put a system together using an EP45-ud3r but I haven't really had a chance to get into all of the BIOS tweaks.

Try this:

DRAM PERFORMANCE CONTROL

Performance Enhance - [standard]

DRAM TIMING SELECTABLE - [ENTER]- [MANUAL]

5-5-5-15

ADVANCED TIMING CONTROL - [ENTER]

tRFC - 52

Leave the rest at [AUTO]

MCH CORE - [1.20v]

DRAM VOLTAGE - 2.1v

See if that helps.

Hey chuck would you recommend these settings for 2 of TwinX2048-8500C5d kits for a total of 4x 1gig it's to the point now each pair works fine on their own but add all 4 and the motherboard won't even post just beeps a series of times shutsoff starts up beep same series endlessly. I'm just wondering if I need to tone down the timing I'm not even trying to over clock it I have a Q6700 cpu. Any input would be great.

Regards,

Kev

Archived