Corsair Community

2x bricked GPU...is it my 620HX?

bry2121

After about 1.5 years of perfect usage, my video card dies on me suddenly (After hibernation, no video is seen on the screen at all, no POST...putting in a new video card resolves the issue). I RMA'd and got a new video card, which worked fine for about 1 month, then while playing a computer game gave me a BSOD, restarted, and upon reentering the video card is disabled by the drivers (reinstalling drivers several times did not fix it). I want to know if this could be due to my 620HX PSU, or if I simply am having getting bad luck with video cards.

For the first 1.5 years video card:

9800 GX2

For second crash:

9800 GX2

+ 9500 GT (non sli, just to power 2nd monitor. This card does not require a direct PSU hookup)

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I think the PSU is the problem. Nvidia recommends a min. 580W PSU for the 9800 GX2, and you have a 620W PSU. But you additionally have an overclocked CPU, VelociRaptor HDD, Soundcard and another GPU, so I think, that it's just too much.

This card does not require a direct PSU hookup

It consumes power directly from the PCI-Express 2.0 slot. If I remember rightly, it could use max. 75W from the PCI-Slot. The 9500GT should consume about 40W - 70W, let's say 55W. So, thats about (580W + 55W) 635W, which should be reserved just for the GPUs. But, like I told before, you are also using other, very power consuming hardware. So, the 620W might not be enough.

What you could try:

- Remove the 9500GT

- Remove any CD, DVD, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drives (disconnecting SATA / Molex power cables should be enough)

- Reset CPU clocks (3.0GHz) and undervolt it (1.1V - 1.2V should be enough)

- Try to boot up the system safely

- If it doesn't work, try to remove 2 DDR2 RAM Modules (if you have 4 installed, if not, skip this step)

- Remove 9800 GX2 and reinstall 9500GT, try if it works now

- If no step really helped you, try a more powerful PSU; above 750W (from friends, relations etc.)

Best regards,

Tolga

Archived