Corsair Community

RAM: 1 MB or 2MB

Goudman

I am building a system which will be comprised of the following: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P, NVidia 6800 Ultra(when released of course), and Corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO (or 4400Pro) - 2 X 512MB 500MHz (w/LED) I am really weighing the option of adding another Gig of Ram to give me a total of 2 Gigs. I need advise on whether I should be then going with registered memory or unbuffered memory? I would like to have all the ram I can get, however since I am going to be expecting a high performance Gaming machine, I am not sure if this makes sense. Help ... Thanks

From everything I have read, Windows does not really benefit much going above 1GB. It might even get worse! Also, if you want to overclock, the additional modules' load on the bus will really limit what you can do. So I would stick to 1GB using 512MB modules in dual channel. Finally, 875 does not support registered memory. The confusion comes about because it does support ECC memory. These are separate things, but they usually come together. FYI, to my knowledge Corsair does not sell TWINX unbuffered ECC memory.

My other plan is for using the computer for Video processing(burning DVD's), editing pictures and the usual Ms Office programs, Excel, Word etc.... and of course web surfing. I am still not hearing what the impact speed impacts of what running the higher capacity Ram (i.e. 4 ea - 512 mb waffers) will do to the most demanding of tasks, such as using MS Flight Simulator 04. I like the idea of using 2 Ea. - 1 Gig ram sticks as a matched pair though. I looks as though the larger the Ram per waffer, the slower they tend to be. Am I wrong ?

• Corsair Employees
You would get best performance with A Twinx set of LL or our 4000 modules with the CPU over clocked. If you really have a demanding application that will use the ram I would say go with 2.0 Gig of memory Twinx2048-3200. However, every thing you have listed is not that memory intensive and you would have best over all performance with what I originally suggested.

RamGuy, Thanks for the response. I hear what your saying about memory intensive programs, but explain to me how MS Flight Simulator is not memory intensive. In fact I am sensitive to over doing it with Ram, however, in my research on using MS Flight simulator 2004, beside having an excellent video card (in my case I am using the new NVidia 6800 Ultra), the other areas that effect Frames per second are Ram and also the CPU. In other words I would want to have all the adequate Ram and CPU support to supply the Videocard. If in your professional opinion that 1 Gig of Ram is adequate for not only FS 2004, or Video Processing while doing other smultaneous tasks, then COOL ! Also RamGuy, you referenced what you previously recommended: However, I checked this thread and I did not see where you originally reccommened the Ram for me? Did you mean the "Twinx set of LL or our 4000 modules with the CPU over clocked" Please confirm with me please. Thanks

Goudman, He means that you could use TwinX1024-3200LL if you did not overclock or TwinX1024-4000 if you did overclock. If you're really bent on getting 2Gb of RAM, go with the TwinX2048-3200. And just for confirmation, those programs will not require you to have more than 1Gb of RAM. While having adequate RAM will affect your FPS, you won't need more than 1Gb for what you've listed and video editing is more I/O intensive than memory intensive (I/O = Hard Disk Accesses). PLUR CK

Archived