Corsair Community

Very strange configuration

Commlock

Hi. I kindly request some attention in my case, as I think it is pretty unusual. Sorry for my English, not a native ::pirate::

I was using my TWIN2X4096-8500C5 for 6 months with no problem at all. My config was set to 1066 MHz dual channel and my MoBo is MSI DKA790GX with AMD Phenom II 940 CPU. Last couple of days I went to a holiday for a week and when I returned back and turned on my computer, it was not working but only some strange behavior (not getting even to BIOS screen) and then I realized that the problem was due to RAM sticks. Initially, there were two RAM in channel 1 and 2 and below are the the steps that I've taken in order to get the computer working again:

1- I plugged the 1st stick in channel 1 and tested, its OK.

2- I plugged the 2nd stick in channel 1 and tested, its OK.

3- I plugged the 1st stick in channel 1 and I plugged the 2nd stick in channel 2 and tested -> not working.

4- I plugged the 1st stick in channel 3 and tested, its OK.

5- I plugged the 2nd stick in channel 3 and tested, its OK.

6- I plugged the 1st stick in channel 3 and I plugged the 2nd stick in channel 4 and tested -> not working.

7- I plugged the 1st stick in channel 1 and I plugged the 2nd stick in channel 3 (edit:not 2, sorry) and tested -> WORKING but naturally in single channel mode.

I honestly think that it might be because of the MoBo, however I still can't figure it out what and how it happened, what's changed during my 1 week holiday (no tempering). Might there be a specific reason related with the RAM sticks, might there be a case of similar experience, I would appreciate if you enlighten me.

Regards.

That would suggest the CPU may have failed can you test the Memory and or CPU on another system to be sure.

I really don't have any similar system to test the components thoroughly, therefore I'll leave it as is.

PS: I've made a mistake in my original e-mail. In step 7, the working configuration should be:

7- I plugged the 1st stick in channel 1 and I plugged the 2nd stick in channel 3 and tested -> WORKING but naturally in single channel mode.

I now have 2x2 GB in slots 1 and 3 working in single channel mode and in 1066 MHz. Still confused about it though :confused:

• Corsair Employees
I would check with the MB maker to be sure and or see what they say but it sounds like the CPU is failing especially if the MB maker states the installed BIOS version supports that CPU, so I would RMA the CPU depending on what the MB maker says.

Archived