Corsair Community

Cmx512-3200ll

tehwin

i have an asus a7n8x Deluxe v2 motherboard, and have been running 512twinx in dual mode for the last 8 months problem-free. i have now decided to shove in another 512mb to get 1 gig of ram. i have tracked down cmx512-3200LL, with ram timings 2-3-2-6 1T, which is the same as the 2x256 i have at the moment. i presume there will be no compatability issues if i just plug this straight into the 3rd and remaining slot on the motherboard. what is the main difference between the 3200ll and the XMS3200LLPT, apart from the ram timings and the colour :p, and will there be any issues that i might need to address? oh, and the ones i have at the moment are v1.2

Welcome to the forums, tehwin! The difference between your old CMX256A-3200LL and a new CMX512-3200LL module is the IC's used on them ([i]the actual memory chips in the module[/i]). The good news is that you can probably run all three and maintain dual-channel, but you'll have to play with the timings/configuration. I just noticed this, but if you've been running your two modules in DIMM slots 1 & 2 with the offset #3 empty, then you've been running them in single-channel! If you leave your 2 x 256Mb modules in DIMMs 1 & 2 and then add the 512Mb module to DIMM 3, you'll be flying high. Just go into BIOS and set these: Memory Interface - [b]100%[/b] Memory Latencies - [b][Manual][/b] CAS Latency - [b]2.5[/b] RAS Precharge - [b]3[/b] RAS to CAS Delay - [b]3[/b] Active Delay (tRAS) - [b]7[/b] DDR Voltage - [b]2.7x[/b] ([i]not to exceed 2.8v[/i]) Then test your stability with [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url]. If it's stable, you can [i]try[/i] to tighten up the timings again ([i]CAS 2, etc[/i]), but I don't know how much luck you'll have with three modules. PLUR CK

Archived