Corsair Community

Dominator questions [urgent-ish]

PeterFazekas

I have just a few hours to make my decision so a quick reply from RAM GUY or someone else from Corsair would be appriciated.

1) I just recieved a TR3X6G1600C8D and i was stunned by the absoloutely gorgeous packaging. It's dominator styled black and blue, with the shape of a DVD jewel case.

The specs on the sticks say it's version 3.2.

My question is, when did this transition happen and which kits are affected?

I'm thinking about returning this to get the 1866Mhz kit with the included Airflow fans instead, but i want to know if that also has shiny packaging now or did that retain the ghetto style white box? I realize the F kits need a larger box to house the AirFlow but did those stay vanila white or did they also get the redesign? Because if not i might just keep this and buy the AirFlow separately, the total price would be the same as the 1866 F kit. I couldn't make full use of the 1866 anyways.

2) I see that the 1600 kit has a tighter timing, 8 compared to 9 on the 1866 kit. If i run the 1866 kit at 1600, do i get to tighten the timings?

Thanks

EDIT: Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6eYPfqVvA

• Corsair Employees
1) I just received a TR3X6G1600C8D and i was stunned by the absolutely gorgeous packaging. It's dominator styled black and blue, with the shape of a DVD jewel case.

The specs on the sticks say it's version 3.2.

My question is, when did this transition happen and which kits are affected?

A: I am not sure if you are asking about the package or the version but the package was done for Retailers and it looks much nicer.

And the version is subject to change depending on IC availability.

2) I see that the 1600 kit has a tighter timing, 8 compared to 9 on the 1866 kit. If i run the 1866 kit at 1600, do i get to tighten the timings?

A: I am sorry but we can only promise the tested settings, but you are welcome to try anything you like just don't go over 2.0 Volts.

A: I am not sure if you are asking about the package or the version but the package was done for Retailers and it looks much nicer.

And the version is subject to change depending on IC availability.

Yeah i was asking about the package. So the white box is for OEM/OSB?

Then what do the retail airflow kits look like? Can you post a picture? Can't find anything on the internet.

I'm just asking out of curiousity now, as i decided to keep the 1600 kit and just ordered a separate Airflow. Less hassle.

• Corsair Employees
Yeah i was asking about the package. So the white box is for OEM/OSB?

Well no not really just when we first made the Tri channel kits the only way to insure the modules would not get damaged in shipping was to use the White Box, and since then a package was specifically designed for these sets that is more appealing to look at.

Then what do the retail airflow kits look like? Can you post a picture? Can't find anything on the internet.

Well I cant seem to find a picture of it ATM but its a bulky package.

I did find this pic from one of the reviews but it is using the white BOX not the new retail package.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5860&stc=1&d=1250705854

Corsair_1866_Dominator_GT_4.jpg.30dd09d703df00d9539e63ecec7c73e7.jpg

Well no not really just when we first made the Tri channel kits the only way to insure the modules would not get damaged in shipping was to use the White Box, and since then a package was specifically designed for these sets that is more appealing to look at.

Ah, i see. Thanks for explaining.

Well I cant seem to find a picture of it ATM but its a bulky package.

I did find this pic from one of the reviews but it is using the white BOX not the new retail package.

Yep, white box. With this recent unboxing craze one would think that it's easy to get a hold of package pictures, but apparently not a lot of people have the new retail package yet.

Archived