Corsair Community

Problem with RAM Upgrade on ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

Fragg

My Mobo has four slots for DDR2 RAM. I originally put in two and recently decided to add another two (paired) and bought exactly the same type (Corsair) that was already installed on the system. I know that this version of Windows will probably only recognize 3-3.5 gig tops, but I put in both new RAM chips. When I fired up my system and checked the memory, it still only listed the original amount of RAM (it's like those two new sticks aren't even there). I made sure they were seated correctly and that the clips that snap down to hold them were all the way down, so I know it's in there. Any ideas why the system would not recognize the additional RAM? I upgraded my RAM on other systems before and never had this happen.

My original RAM was seated on the two on the left and the two new sticks of memory the system is not seeing are seated on the two right slots. Computer boots fine, it just does not see the two new sticks.

Experiment One: Removed both sticks of original RAM on the left and left the two new sticks in the slots on the right. Computer boots fine, and sees the two new sticks. So it' not that the new sticks are dead.

Experiment Two: Put one original RAM stick and one new RAM stick in the left slots, and left the other two sticks out. Computer will not boot to Windows and gives me the following error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Set Up using the original CD-ROM."

Experiment Three: Removed the one new stick of RAM in the left slot and replaced it with the other original RAM stick (back to original RAM two stick configuration). Left two right slots empty. Everything is back to normal, no errors, perfect boot to Windows.

Experiment Four: To the RAM configuration from Experiment Three, added just one stick of the new RAM to one of the open slots on the right. Computer will not boot to Windows and gives me the following error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Set Up using the original CD-ROM."

Experiment Five: To the configuration from Experiment Four, I add the remaining new RAM to the last open slot on the right. Computer boots fine, but only registers two sticks or RAM. It's like the additional two are not even there.

Is there something I could do in the BIOS to make it see the memory? I've upgraded RAM on numerous systems, and the Windows environment always picked up the additional RAM. I've never seen anything like this before.

I've done some research and this MOBO is apparently very sensitive when it comes to RAM. I've been on the ASUS forums and they suggested manually setting the memory timings (the Corsair sticks are 800 MHz and list 5-5-5-12 as their timing. I've bee told to try lowering the speed to 667 MHz (I don't know what the timing is in the BIOS). I've gotten suggestions like flashing the BIOS to enabling memory mapping in the BIOS (tried this and hung up the PC--did not work). Is this a voltage setting issue? Why won't the MOBO just detect the additional memory sticks? :mad:

I'd like the perspective from the memory manufacturer (Corsair) before I start making changes to the BIOS.

• Corsair Employees

This has been posted many times about using or mixing two sets of memory and I would suggest testing the memory one module at a time to make sure is not failing.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

So even though the additional matched memory pair purchased is identical (make, model, speed, etc.) to the original two I put on my system, this is still considered mixing and matching? :sigh!:

Okay, thanks for the feedback--it appears I was sort of on the right track with the memory frequency and voltage as a possible solution.

Archived