Corsair Community

750W Gone Bad?

true2paintball

Hello Everyone,

Recently I moved to a new apartment and am having some issues and am concerned my power supply has gone bad. The issue that I am having is that when I start my computer and play some games everything is fine. When I play a more graphic intensive game (ie prototype, C&C world in conflict) my backup USP begins to emit a steady high pitched beep.

If I ignore the beep the computer eventually crashes. If I Alt/Tab from the game the beeping immediately stops. Upon resuming it comes back again.

If I plug the machine directly into the wall instead of the PSU it eventually crashes as well. This happens in about the same amount of time as if I ignore it with the USP.

I do not have a spare power supply to try and I have tried other independent circuits to no avail. Anyone know how I can test what's going on here or if it is an RMA thing?

Overclocked to 1.33125v and 430 FSB according to the bios and Also the 3dMark test does do the same thing! Never did before even with these settings.

So my entire computer worked (both cards, psu everything) at my old apartment. I move then I start getting this issue. The second video card is obviously putting the power usage up too high. The only thing this seems to lead to is the PSU being/going bad. How could the video card function if it was bad?

The same way your car can work if there's a faulty part. Gas leak won't stop it from going, nor will a wonky transmission. Won't work like it's supposed to though. That's not to say it couldn't be the PSU. Could be anything. Swapping parts with another system is the easiest way to figure it out.

Ok I don't have parts that I can swap out unfortunately but... As I have two cards could I do this.

The Problem: With Card A in slot A and Card B in slot B the system draws too much power. Removing card B from slot B causes the system to work.

Should I try: Keeping card B in slot B and removing Card A from slot A.

Assumption: If using the single cards in all combinations works then it would not be the cards or slots. This is because I would be using the potentially faulty card and slot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived