Corsair Community

Will the Value Select 512 mg (Model VS512MB400) work with my motherboard

minobu

Hi, I have an older motherboard the Abit KR7A with the via KT266a chipset and in the user manual it says it is incompatible with memory that was made with 64M x 4 methods i.e. double stacked chips. I was curious if the VS512MB400 was made in this way and therefore would be incompatible with my motherboard. I tried to add just one chip to my motherboard that already has 2 256 mg chips but they are 2700 not 3200 like the new one and my system would not recognize it until I unset all of the chips then replace them with the 2 256 chips in the 1 and 2 slots and the 512 chip in the 4th slot which caused the bios to see it but then I could not get into windows because everytime windows would load the computer would reboot until I took out the new chip. A friend suggested that it might be that I need to add them in pairs but I didn't think you needed to do that with an Athlon XP 1900+ on a Abit KR7A-RAID motherboard. Could the behavior I witnessed come from needing to add memory in pairs or that they were different speeds? I thought the windows behavior was very strange. Thank you for any help Jim

Archived