Corsair Community

Cant get New HX 850w to power any PC

Montysaurus

Hello all, this is my first post since on 31/07/09 I purchased a brand new HX 850w, it arrived on 04/08/09 all well and good but after connecting it up it refused to do anything than make all fans spin for a brief second then nothing. No strange smells,rattles,or noises but no power either.

I RMA'd it back to the retailer they held it for a week and said they tested it for an hour and said there is nothing wrong. they returned it to me on 14/08/09 with a receipt to that effect. However, since its return I have tried it in 3 PC's with different mobos, M/B's I have tried it on are ASUS P6T deluxe/P965 Commando, MSI P6N SLIv2. several HD and graphics card combinations and 3 cases and cannot get it to do anything other than spin all the fans in my brand new coolermasterCM 690 case, it did the paperclip test ok but wont power any of my PC's I am tearing my hair out trying to work out what I might have missed but as my other three PSU's (enermax, PC power and cooling) all work fine i am reduced to thinking it must be the HX850, any ideas (legal ones please) gratefully received.

Monty, I had this same thing happen with my 850TX and it was all my fault (and my retailers). My ASUS M4A78T-E needed the full 24 pin connector and the 4-pin 12VATX to get it to post (as indicated in the MB Manual). Well I didn't see a 4-pin 12V ATX,called my retailer and he said pop the 4 pin connector off the 24 pin connector and use this as your 4-pin. Well this is WRONG,WRONG,WRONG. This would cause the exact same sympton you describe,the P/S would spin up for a few seconds then everything goes dead.

You are supposed to use the 8-pin (from the P/S ) on the 4-pin12vATX (either bust out the 4-pins you need or just plug the connector on so only 4-pins are making contact(which is what I did).

It took a call to ASUS to tell me what I was doing wrong.

I think I was really lucky not to damage something because of this major mess-up.

Edit. I did call Corsair Tech support and asked about this and they tell me they get daily calls about this,it appears some P/S manuals slipped out without a note

Thanks for response and the answer is yes all cables correctly connected 8 pin 12v and 24 pin. Im fairly use to upgrading and stuff so I'm pretty sure having worked on this problem for several hours each day i.e 1st day i got it 04/08/09 and again yesterday and today (all day). Still cant work out what it might be other than a faulty unit, like I said it powers up using the paperclip test and it will make fans spin but then nothing.

Disconnect everything but the basics (CPU/Mobo/Ram/Video card) NO CASE FANS. NO HDDs. NO FDDs. NO OPTICAL drives. See if it powers on. If it does, then one by one, reconnect HDDs/FDDs/Optical drives/Case Fans. See what happens. Could also be faulty data cables--check those.

Thanks for idea Burner27, tried it and it still wont power up properly it is intermittent, spins the fan briefly then stops then spins briefly then stops, with just Mobo/cpu and graphics card connected (my Asus mb has start button so dont even need to connect case) I have double/treble checked all cables they cant be put on round wrong way as my 24 pin connector has a capacitor directly opposite the catch and the 8 pin 12v connectors are shaped as well as having a catch on one side which matches the one on the board.

My Board lights come on as per when my other PSU's are in use. However, unlike the PCP&C 750w silencer I just swapped out, (which runs without problems and I checked the M/B bios to make sure nothing funny was enabled/disabled) the HX850 is intermittent in its power delivery and for no explicable reason (I changed nothing!) it decided to stay on after my fifth attempt this morning to see if it would work. Although I can get CPU/Graphics and PSU fans working and even case fans now, there is nothing else it doesnt seem to be powering the mobo sufficiently to make it boot to bios or my Hard drive all of which work perfectly with all my other PSU's. I will continue experiment with swapping cables around the sockets (supplied ones of course) to see if I can get it to do anything other than just spin my fans.

On Tuesday my PSU tester arrives so maybe I can shed a little more light on it then.

:o: Cant believe this, I decided on a friends advice to swap out Ram and see if it will work with any of the four sticks I have in my 2 cases, eventually got it going with one stick of Ram. This is really strange as all other PSU's work with all my memory on all of my M/B's.

:confused: Thought I had the problem nailed but alas it returned. PSU is intermittent and I think it must be something to do with the power it is sending to memory as I left just one 1gb module in and it did the working/not working thing before it finally decided to run. Turn off, reinsert second module then wouldnt boot it just spins about 2 secs then stops then starts then stops and keeps going never actually starting. Inserted other PSU Ran Memtest86 v2.11 its not the memory! got both sticks in writing this!

RMA submitted to Corsair Tech Support, followed by patronising condescending phone call to retailer tomorrow, with threats of small claims Court and call to trading standards if response is negative, Job Done!

Hopefully when I get a working PSU I can report such excellent views as this:

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/power_supply/corsair_hx850w_850w_atx_psu/5

Wired, Because I am putting my P/S on the outside of the case and making a quick disconnect out of a aircraft cannon plug at the back of the case. That real estate inside the case is very valuable and I have plans for it. The P/S can sit outside where I have plenty of room. Those baby's get pretty big in the 1000W/1200W range.

If I can find a P/S with those mentioned cables modular I will not have to modify mine (this is so when I move the machine I am not dragging the P/S along on a leash.

This is called "thinking outside the box' as we are all so conditioned to think "Oh, P/S that mounts inside the case,no other option possible". Cable management inside will be sweet with this set-up.

Monty,Thanks for the confirmation,I always check for the esay way before I modify. Saw a UTube video where a guy made a modular P/S out of a non-modular,guy had excellent fabrication skills, all I need to do is add 2 cannon plugs,we did this alot at a aircraft maintiance firm I worked at (Jet Aviation in Zurich) for breakout boxes. Then I will have all that room the P/S is taking up for my other mods. Sometimes the best ideas come from one or two guys working out of their garage,one was named Jobbs and one was Wozniack :) Did you like my pun "Think outside the box?"

:confused: Bizarre, as soon as I threatened it with the PSU tester and an RMA it suddenly decided to work, well that and a new M/B, CPU and Ram but this still doesnt explain why it wouldnt work with my Core i7 system and 6gb of 1866 Dominator? However it has been happily running my second system for over 3 hours without a glitch:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived