Corsair Community

GA-EP45-UD3P having problems with PC6400 and PC8500

mike000

Pulling my hair here. I custom built this system in February and am running Windows Server Standard 2008 64 bit. I need lots of ram and high speed HDD. I chose to have 2 OCZ SSD of 30 GB each in soft Raid 0. I also originally chose PC8500 Dominator - 8GB in 4 sticks. After approx 2 months i started to have repeated crashes and Event Viewer would say it encountered an unrecoverable memory error.

I tested the memory with Memtest and found out one of the sticks was bad. DId the RMA thing and ran a few weeks using 4 GB only. Don't remember if i had any crashes. New sticks arrived and after a few weeks of running them full up, started crashing again.

Now, I never messed with any voltage thing or tweaked anything. Don't like to do that as i do not know much about it.

I purchased then 4 sticks of PC6400. Installed them late May. Started having issues a couple of weeks ago. Same symptoms. I ran Memtest and sure enough one stick came out bad.

My next step is to buy another MB - i prefer ASUS to Gigabyte anyway... but I hope i can get it fixed without the added expense.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Marius

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived