Corsair Community

Running two kits of TR3X6G1600C8D on an EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR

sclark

I'm trying to use 2 6GB Memory Kits to get a total of 12 GB RAM, but my machine is only recognizing 8GB of Memory.

If I only install 6GB (one kit), then it properly recognizes the 6GB. I have to adjust the SPD from Standard to XMP Profile 1 to have it operate at a Memory Frequency of 1600MHz.

But with both kits installed (whether the SPD is set to Standard (1067MHz) or XMP Profile 1 (1600MHz) it only recognizes 8GB.

Is it possible to run two of these kits on this MOBO to get a total 12GB of memory?

If so, what settings should I use?

Thanks!

Yes it is possible, because i am doing the same. Try each ram stick one at a time to make sure you dont have a faulty ram stick and then if they all read you might have some faulty ram modules on your motherboad (i had the same problem) and had to send it in to EVGA for a RMA. But try the sticks individually first.

P.S. Use the XMP settings in the motherboards CMOS

Yes it is possible, because i am doing the same. Try each ram stick one at a time to make sure you dont have a faulty ram stick and then if they all read you might have some faulty ram modules on your motherboad (i had the same problem) and had to send it in to EVGA for a RMA. But try the sticks individually first.

P.S. Use the XMP settings in the motherboards CMOS

Thanks, I will try and isolate if it is a hardware issue. After I had purchased them, I had read that trying to use two kits together could be problematic (without adjusting the mobo settings) so I assumed that was my issue.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, do you have the same MOBO as me as well?

With two sets you may need to set the QPI Voltage to 1.4 Volts manually and set the memory frequency to DDR1333.

Thanks for responding RAM GUY!

So are you thinking that two kits running together will not operate at 1600MHz?

Would I have been better off buying a 12GB kit (i.e. HX3X12G1600C9):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145235

I actually wasn't aware of the 12GB kit when I first started looking and didn't think there would be an issue with two 6GB kits, plus I wanted to go with the Dominator and I don't see a 12GB kit for the Dominator series. Do you know if there is a 12GB Dominator kit available that I just can't find?

Archived