Corsair Community

Is the 850TX good for this setup?

KurganNazzir

I recently bought a bare bones kit from a place I'll probably never buy from again. The kit had the following:

* EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz OEM Processor

* brand-that-can't-be-named Intel Extreme Edition Dual Channel 4096MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz Memory

* Hitachi 1TB SATA Internal Hard Drive

* EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Video Card

* Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply

I also bought an LG GH22NS50 22X DVDRW SATA Drive since the drives I have aren't SATA. The case I have has two 120mm fans. I also rigged a small, maybe 80mm fan on the side of the case and I will be adding a Spectrum Fan Card (System Fan Card with Dual 70mm Adjustable UV LED Fans) for additional air circulation; it arrived after the psu blew.

I built the computer on Aug 2nd and on Aug 4th, the power supply blew (loud pop, sparks, me very angry). I could have exchanged the power supply but I wasn't sure I wanted the same brand as reviews were rather not impressive. I was checking a more reliable internet seller when I came across the Corsair 850TX and it had good reviews (except for when it comes to getting the rebate).

So I'd like to know, do you think this power supply would work well with this computer (as long as the old one didn't fry everything)? Nothing seems to use too much power other than the video card, which requires a 500W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 36A or more. I was planning on getting opinions before I ordered the psu, but my email to register arrived 24hrs after I visited these forums and the rebate offer on the psu ends today; in other words, I got tired of waiting, bought the psu, and am hoping for the best.

Ok, I just got the new PSU and was thinking of doing that functionality test to make sure it's not going to blow like the other one did and this way I'm not risking my components (if they aren't already fried). I just stick the ends of a paper clip into the two shown in the graphic? I know it says it's a very low signaling voltage, but after the other one blew on me, I'm scared, lol. Wuss, I know. But doing the test isn't going to mess up the PSU or shock me or anything? I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that it's safe to do. I never had a PSU blow on me before so I'm edgy, though I did have a floppy drive try to catch on fire in the not too distant past.

• Corsair Employees
No there is a small amount of Voltage and Current running through these pins just make sure it is the Green and one of the black wires next to it. If you are really not comfortable I would suggest a PSU tester they are only about 10.00 USB

Kurgan, Thats the P/S I am using now. I have selected the 850HX for my build now going on. I ALWAYS over build the P/S (all I have so far is the CPU).

New Build

955 BE(not included in price since I have already bought it for 215.00 from the egg)

ASUS Crosshair Formula III

Corsair 850 HX

Corsair TW3X4G1600C9D 8gb

P 128

Someone elses 1200 case

XFX GTX 275 896MB GPU

Pioneer Blue Ray

all from the egg for 1190.00 or so with the mail in rebates not taken care of

I still need to look at cooling,I like that Corsair H50 (must find retailer) and I like that RAM air cooler (don't know price,if it fits,or retailer).

I am using the 850TX now,great. I stick with top of the line products and people who I send my money to. I don't think I will have a problem with any of the people I have chosen to deal with.

My big problem,money comes at the exact same time new semester starts and I will have to study and not play with my gaming build.

Archived