Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 and TWIN2X4096-6400C5C

Grumbleback

Greetings,

I have used the memory compatibility service and my motherboard is not listed. So I am turning to these boards for help.

Ok, to the problem. I am receiving errors when attempting to install XP SP1 on an IDE drive. If I remove one of the memory sticks I am able to go through without a problem. I have used Adata 667mhz memory(2X1gb) and some kingston 667mhz with the same results. When I have both sticks in I receive CDC errors installing software from Cd/dvd or from an internet download.

Now, when I run one stick of memory everything works/installs just fine. I have updated my bios and am running SP3 for XP 32bit. The gigabyte MA770-ud3 board is about 3 months old and I am wondering if there could be an issue with it (have submitted a request for support with Gigabyte and still waiting for a reply.

I do not have a 3.5 floppy or a burner to use memtest.

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Corsair Employees
I would look for a floppy drive from an old system or if you have a computer store they are normally about 10.00 for a floppy just to test with. But I would see if a friend can maybe help you test them in another system.

Ok, I used a USB flash drive and ran ramtest. One of the two chips came back with 17 errors on test #7. I ran both of them individually, I plan on running an overnight test with both of them.

One other question, Is the Gigabyte GA0MA770-UD3 compatible with Twin2x4096-640c5c? I used the online system but the motherboard was not listed.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Okay, due to user error I was using the wrong version of Memtest. Long story short, I was using 1.64 and have rerun both sticks using 2.11.

The bad dimm came back with 60k errors and failed all 8 tests. The other came back with zero errors.

I did not raise the voltage on these tests.

Thanks again for the help.

Archived