Corsair Community

HX620 Problem?

Mac99

My old computer failed about 3 Weeks ago. When pressing the start button, LEDs turned on, Fans and Harddrives started up and that was it. System didn't boot. This started about a week earlier but back then turning the PSU off and on again did the trick.

So when it failed, I suspected the HX620 to have a problem but putting my old PSU (470 Watts) back in, the system didn't solve the problem.

As I had planned a system upgrade anyway I bought a new Mainbord, CPU, RAM and some other new parts like the Coolermaster Case.

I installed the new system with the HX620 and it started up right away.

There was occasionally a small problem with my old IDE DVD-Writer from LG, which sometimes took a long time to respond. That caused the system to boot up with the onboard graphics instead of the GTS8800?!?. Other than that it worked well.

Stable with the 8GB DDR2 RAM at 1066 with 5-5-5-15 timings (at 2.1 Volts).

Stable with the X4 940 overcloced to 3200MHz and later 3400MHz.

Until today.

When I started the system, LEDs went on, Fans and Harddisks started and then nothing.

I turned it off, and back on. Now the power LED was off, HDD LEDs flashed, then it went off. Then back on, back off, until I switched the HX620 off.

I switched it back on, pressed the start button and had the same problem all over again.

LEDs, Fans, HDDs on, nothing else.

Swtched off, back on and again Power LED was off, HDD LED flashing, system turned itself off, on again, off again...

The I switched the HX620 off again, cleared the CMOS and the system booted.

Went into CMOS-Setup, changed SATA, RAM and Boot settings, Save & Exit.

System went off, back on and once again didn't boot.

Same problem as before, Power LED off, HDD LED flashing and constantly turning itself off and on again.

Repeated the steps, cleared CMOS again, and it started up again. Changed only SATA Settings, Save & Exit, and once again it didn't start.

Next try, reset CMOS again, changed SATA Settings this time it started but apparently with the Onboard Graphics instead of my GTS8800.

Turned off, PSU off, back on and this time it started. During POST the Power LED was flashing though, now it's on. (The internal LED on the mainboard was on all the time and didn't flash.)

I haven't tried booting up Windows, I'm using this "Express Gate" feature of the Asus Board to write this.

Long story, short question: Does that sound like a problem with the HX620 PSU or rather a problem with the Mainboard?

I only have the old 470 Watt PSU as alternative which I don't want to try. I doubt it can handle the system and it doesn't have a P8 connector. I have reserved a HX750 PSU at a local store which I can pick up tomorrow but I don't really want to spend 140 Euros on a new PSU if the old one isn't the problem.

There's warranty on both the HX620 and the 3-week-old Mainboard, of course, but I can't really wait until I get either one back. I need the computer to work again asap...

So I hope someone has an Idea what might be the problem with my stupid computer. ;)

A little update:

After I got the computer to boot and wrote the previous post using Asus Express Gate, I booted Windows. It started without a problem and the computer is running stable for several hours now.

I can also shut down or edit BIOS settings, which upon saving causes an automatic shut down and restart and the system boots just fine now.

Only weird thing is that the Power LED is still flashing during POST. I noticed that the Power LED goes off whenever the HDD LED goes on.

After POST, Power LED stays on, no matter if there's HDD activity or not.

During testing I had disconnected some fans and all HDD except the system disk. I re-connected everything except the old DVD Writer and the system seems to work fine.

All in all a really strange problem.

All I can think off, is a thermal problem, some part that needs to get to temperature to work correctly.

I'm still wondering if it's a problem with the HX620 PSU or the Mainboard and if I should get a new PSU tomorrow or not...

Or maybe there's a problem with the electricity in our apartment? My old Monitor had rather similar problems a few months ago. Didn't turn on at first, after a while it did, then some days later it stopped working all together. Power LED was flashing(!?) whenever there was a signal, whenever the computer was off, the OSD came up and the LED stopped flashing. I used a backup Display, tried the "defective" Monitor again a few days later but the problem was still there.

Two weeks later, just after I received my new monitor, I tried the old one once again and suddenly it worked again?! Very strange.

But as the replacement Display, my new Monitor, Computer, TV and everything else worked just fine, I didn't think much into it.

But now, with these somewhat similar problems, I'm starting to wonder if there's a connection...

Any ideas or suggestions?

• Corsair Employees

:eyebuldge try to keep it short next time.. we are all bunch of lazy ppl here in this forums :D:

I highly doubt this is a PSU issue as you can load Windows from time to time without any problem. I would suggest you to test the PSU in a different system to just be sure.

• 1 year later...

Hi Ramguy,

My PC has been occasionally failing to turn on properly for the last apx. 2 years and I've overlooked it lazily. When this occurs the CPU heat sink fan, case fans and GPU fans with all turn on, but no signal to the monitor, and no IO ports will fuction.

Yesterday I switched my Corsair HX620 power supply on and it sparked (I heard it and saw the spark). This is the first spark. No smell though. Does this indicate the power supply has been the problem?

Thanks for your time.

• Corsair Employees
Blakdak, it is certainly possible that the PSU could be causing the problems, but difficult to say for sure unless you can duplicate the same issues while testing the PSU in a different system. We definitely have the option to replace the PSU for you and you can Request an RMA at any time, but if the system is turning on and staying on and you just get nothing on the screen, then there could be some other issue. I would say the most likely components would be PSU, Mobo/BIOS, or graphics card.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, Ramguy.

I have decided to request an RMA on my power supply as I will be replacing the graphics card soon anyway, which should eliminate the problem or leave one suspect: the motherboard. How do I go about requesting this RMA?

Thanks,

Blakdak

Archived