Corsair Community

Corsair H50 Noise

GCTonyHawk7

Hey guys,

Sorry for yet another thread on the Corsair H50. I recently bought it on Newegg (was available for about 2 hours and I snapped it up) and got it all installed.

First impressions are for sure very nice CPU temps. I had a nice air cooler before and was idling around 55C. Now I am getting around 45C idle and only 65C on load. These are still oddly high, but it is all relative, eh?

Anyhow, my other first impression is how loud this thing is. I bought it with the impression that it would not add any noise to my case. I would say the upgrade multiplied the sound by about 3x. Now, to be fair, every single component in there is specifically "silent", since the noise really bothers me. I tried unplugging and stopping all the fans and found that roughly 95% of the noise is the pump on the H50. Being that the pump is advertised as "virtually silent", this seems odd.

Being someone that takes "quiet computing" rather seriously, I am probably being rather unfair. But really, it is just me, or is this thing truly not built to be quiet? Being that it is now the loudest thing in my case by a long shot, it can hardly be advertised as the quiet product it is.

Maybe mine is defective? What do others think of the noise?

Here is a list of other components which can not be heard over the pump noise:

- Corsair 650W PSU

- Corsair H50 Fan

- 2x ******** (silly censor) Tricool fans 120mm (on low)

- Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm

- EVGA nVidia 9600GSO GPU

Update: Today happened to be the hottest day ever and I get to see how the H50 really helps. (Was 94F outside) My room temp has been around 84F all day. At this point, with the H50, my CPU is idling at 52ish. Sooo, I have paid $80, my case noise has gone up about 3x, and my idle temperatures have dropped around 5 degrees. Overall, my purchase really is starting to feel largely like a waste. :(

Well, I have actually found the fan to be very acceptable. Sure it fires up once the temps start to raise, but it is not unbearable and comparable to any other quiet fan. It usually spins at about 1100RPM which produces very little noise when it is not really needed.

The pump on the other hand...:sigh!:

please keep in mind that watercooling systems cannot cool below ambient, if your room is 84F then thats the temp of the air pushing through the radiator. thats cooling the sun with a lit match:)

btw, i shaved 25c off my Q6600 by lapping it, Intel seems to manufacture the quad chips with high corners.

heres mine 3/4 of the way lapped...

http://liquidninjas.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=3489&stc=1&d=1214161170

the test bench...literally! http://liquidninjas.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=120921&postcount=102

what paste did you use, i swear by AS5. took a couple days to settle though.

Thanks for this thread Tony, i was looking for info on the pump's noise levels but couldn't get any info anywhere (including here).

Well this means i'll be going for a custom loop for the i7 build after all. I too am really bothered by PC noise as i live in a really quiet part of town and built my last 2 rigs to be pretty much silent.

I used Arctic Cooling MX-2. People say it is even better than the AS5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020

------------

As far as RMAing the unit... that happens to be a TON of work. Removing the cooler, putting an old one on, waiting for a new one to get here two weeks later and doing the entire thing again. I really don't want to go through that unless I know for sure mine is defective.

How loud do other people perceive it?

• 3 months later...

Hi, My h50 seems to be noisy as well. I could hear it over my other fans and hard drives. Made a wierd buzzing noise. To make sure it was the pump i unplugged all my drives and fans and the noise was still there. Ive since put an air cooler in there and the noise is gone.

I emailed corsair about it but havant got a reply yet. Should I fill out an RMA form or return it to the shop (Novatech)

It did keep the temps down nicely though.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...
My pump is so quiet its un-nerving actually. I have to keep running Asus probe just so I know its cooling/working which it is. Ive got a good one obviously. All I can hear is my sys fans. To me if one wants a PC that is completly silent a laptop is probaby the choice......A desktop has to have some fans period unless you use nitrogen to cool everything. Ive heard many before complain about fan noise etc...not just a Corsair product but PC noise of any kind at all, why is that an issue? Maybe because one is used to a laptop? A little fan noise lets one know the fan is operating anyone ever think about that fact? If my desktop made zero noise id be as nervious as a cat in a dog pound about cooling components. Just my humble opinion.

• 5 months later...
I have the same issue. Now I am regretting why did I buy this system. It is not just the pump. Pump just makes the humming noise but the cooling cpu fan, Oh my god unbearable. I kept the settings in the BIOS as silent. I has to stop overclocking my pc because of this high pitch noise. I tried push pull set up that is even worse. No offence to corsair (i really like your power supply though it is just more than what is promised) but this water cooling is noisier than any other cooling system that I know

When mine was working, it was real silent. But look out RMAing it. I've been waiting since 20 July for my replacement. They have none in stock and today I was told maybe in 2 more weeks they might have them in stock. So, plan on waiting awhile.

well horty00735 the thing is usually the replacement component is a refurbished one and probably they are waiting for one more h50 to fail and someone sends it to them and they repair it and give it to you and ur repaired h50 will go to the other guy. There is nothing wrong in that as long as they work.

• 3 weeks later...
please keep in mind that watercooling systems cannot cool below ambient, if your room is 84F then thats the temp of the air pushing through the radiator. thats cooling the sun with a lit match:)

btw, i shaved 25c off my Q6600 by lapping it, Intel seems to manufacture the quad chips with high corners.

heres mine 3/4 of the way lapped...

http://liquidninjas.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=3489&stc=1&d=1214161170

the test bench...literally! http://liquidninjas.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=120921&postcount=102

shaved 25c off or 2-5c ?

yes twenty five, i was running 77-80c under load with a 4-8c difference between cores.

after lapping (look at those corners man, Intel QC?) i was down to 43-51c

also that was the difference from air to watercooling. stock hsf to fuzion block.

the stock hsf is small and round and did not touch the corners but the waterblock was larger and covered the whole cpu.

click the link!

crap, my decimal point was off 2 places on the calculator when i posted that. ill correct that post and thanks for pointing that out but as far as the 25c thats no error. that was the difference between air cooling and lapping then moving to watercooling.

btw that was at 3.75 Gh and 1.536v to the CPU. under air the chip was cooking.

crap, my decimal point was off 2 places on the calculator when i posted that. ill correct that post and thanks for pointing that out but as far as the 25c thats no error. that was the difference between air cooling and lapping then moving to watercooling.

btw that was at 3.75 Gh and 1.536v to the CPU. under air the chip was cooking.

So we know that you changed two things at once, air-to-water and nonlapping-to-lapping. We have no idea as to attribution when two things are changed at once, e. g. how much of the delta was just due to lapping versus how much of the delta was just due to going from air to water cooling.

From your picture, we also know that you are not using the H50, the only current water cooling solution that Corsair offers. We can say, that from your picture, that your water cooling solution is much more radical then the only water cooling solution, the H50, that Corsair currently offers.

Heck, I went from stock air to the H50, and at stock CPU speed went from ~99C to ~44C, a drop of 55C. OC'ing I went from 3.6GHz max on air to 4.0GHz max on the H50, and had a temperature drop of at least 26C, with no lapping required. In my case, both Vcore and Vtt, are within the Intel specifications (< =1.400V).

In other words, your 25C drop, is rather meaningless, without the proper context.

the context or intent of my post was to show that on a full surface contact of a waterblock as opposed to the coin size contact of the stock HSF can be hindered by the stiffer high corners of the CPU itself where the coin size contact will be better for sitting right over the cores without the resistance of the corner preventing pressure where its needed most....the center.

as far as meaningless? well, not to me. i never compared the two to the H50, i even linked the pic of the rig on the bench which can clearly show its not an H50. i did not try to mislead anyone and im sorry you interpreted it the way you did as that was not my intent.

the H50 has a full contact surface that i truly feel will do a much better job of cooling if the CPU is lapped due to the issue i found with the corners. that is what i meant and that is where i stand.

everyone here is entitled to express their opinions, you have made yours clear and i have done the same i hope so if anyone feels the need to rebut my opinion i ask that we agree to disagree and not air our differences in a 10 month old thread.

Respectfully,

Synth.

I did not use the word mislead. You did and attributed to myself. Also known as a strawman.

Posting a 25C drop is, in fact, meaningless, without proper attribution, that means changing only one variable at a time and noting the result. You end up with three possible equations, each with two unknowns, two of these are ordered pairs (lapping than water cooling versus water cooling than lapping) and one equation (lapping only and water cooling only) needing a constant coefficient applied to each of these independent temperature drops to match your net 25C drop.

Maybe 25C of your 25C temperature change was due to solely to lapping, or perhaps 25C of your temperature change was due solely to water cooling.

Who knows? I know I don't, and it is quite apparent that you don't know either.

As to "coin" size, are you referring to a dime, a penny, a nickle, a quarter, or a half dollar? Size matters. Of those five "coins" the half dollar comes closest to the stock and air heat sink copper faces I have on hand.

BTW, what are your current system specs? Your link is broken, and there is nothing to speak of in your Corsair PC specs.

I have similar issue with my H50. It does a high pitch sound which REALLY REALLY annoying. The fact is though that I purchased two of them, and the other one doesn't do a sound and is really really efficient.

I already filled a RMA request for this issue, but rest assure, this remains a very good product. Keeps my Core i7 cool and ready for action :D:!

Archived