Corsair Community

Corsair Power supply failure

Gixbit

So, I'm kinda new to this and I'm not sure if this is the right place. But, here's my story.

I had recently bought a new system after having an old 2005 pc for few years.

I decided to get some pretty new gear as well. It's nothing short of enthusiast really. But, I only got into overclocking it just today. After trying to push my processor to 4.0ghz I figured it was too hot and I would need a better cooler. I decided that I can keep it stable at 3.8ghz. Well, I'm pretty lazy in that stuff because I only like to run stability tests when I'm not at the pc. So I decided to run prime95 on small ffts for 20 minutes, after which I decided to continue my stress test in a game of assassin's creed on high settings. Well, Out of nowhere my whole pc blacked out and lost power. I figured oh yea, I burned my cpu/motherboard out. Even though I couldn't really understand that being the case.

After tinkering around to get it to start by trying a different video card, realizing i can't try another amd processor as i have no other, I decided to try a different PSU. To my surprise and this is utter shock, the HX1000W I had been using died. It will not start the system anymore. I even cleared the cmos a few times manually and using a button on my board. my cpu usually runs at about 1.33volts and I was pushing it up at about 1.40-1.42ish for 3.8ghz. I went through a lot of blue screens and unexpected restarts to get it stable per se as far as I know at 3.8ghz. You can't really call that stable as I'm not sure if it was stable, I never got a chance. The power supply died first. So I've threw in the rma with Corsair and now this happened on a weekend. How wonderful. Things always happen on the worst days.

To clarify, i didn't just overclock this out of the box and after it was all setup. This was after a month of regular usage and pretty harmless interaction. Even when it was overclocked at 3.8ghz it would idle at 33c-36c and load at 50-54c on all cores as well as the cpu itself.

This is NOT an attack on corsair, I really believe this to be a good power supply and would like to make the assumption that my product was faulty. Tinkering the voltage values just did it in completely possibly.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

In most cases it probably was a faulty PSU.

Okay, I've already done that but, still waiting. I sent the RMA Request via corsair website. About the same time as my first post. Hopefully this doesn't take too long, kinda pissed off that it happened during my game of assassin's creed and my old 500watt can handle a 4870 x2 card and an overclocked processor. One thing for sure is that corsair power supply has more than enough cable length for the full tower case I have. I have to route one of the cables under my spare video card to connect to the JPWM2 connection on my mainboard.

It's been approved and I sent the package with the RMA# on the box. However, I seen to have conveniently forgotten the other requirements.

Please make sure that your name, RMA#, telephone # and address is included within the package. UPS & FedEx shipping stores do not include your address on their shipping label.

Please include a copy of the e-mail RMA Confirmation with your shipment.

I seem to forgotten these things. As the only RMA i've ever done hasn't required this. Is this going to cause any problems? Otherwise I'm out $48.

That's for a box, packing materials, weight & shipping/handling costs.

I also have to say how nice it is when these places unknowingly ship defective products that give out in less than 3 months with barely any usage. Only about 300-800hours of use and it's dead. What's wrong with this picture? Not to bash Corsair or anything because every place does this, but, is it really necessary? And it's at my expense? I get a defective product and it's my fault and problem basically. Lovely. Wonderful.

• Corsair Employees

It should not be a problem as long as the RMA number is on the out side of the package.

And I am sorry we would love there to never be any failures but it does happen that is a reality of life with any product. The return rate on our PSU's has been less than .06% so it is bellow the average. I am sorry that it happened to you. However, I think as a whole and in comparison to other companies we have one of the best products on the market.

It should not be a problem as long as the RMA number is on the out side of the package.

And I am sorry we would love there to never be any failures but it does happen that is a reality of life with any product. The return rate on our PSU's has been less than .06% so it is bellow the average. I am sorry that it happened to you. However, I think as a whole and in comparison to other companies we have one of the best products on the market.

Agree'd. I was very impressed with the quality and the length of the cables and all that good stuff until it failed instantaneously.

Archived