Corsair Community

Strange HX1000 problem, have I missed any tests?

kanguru

Bought an HX1000 recently and have since had intermitent BSOD problems and now a show-stopper "won't do CrossfireX" problem.

The HX1000 measures well, all the volts seem to be where they're supposed to be, so I initially discounted it as the cause of my BSODs. Replaced motherboard, CPU, RAM (with more Dominator, of course) without improving the situation.

The BSODs would mostly happen only after several hours of operation, but didn't seem temperature related, Everest reported flat temperatures (well under 32C except for that stuck DTS) and with ambient at 12-14C the TRUE 120 is barely stressed.

Tried out several BIOS versions, F8, F9, F10b, F10e, no change.

Finally, I thought the last components to swap out were the GTX285 and GTS8800 (just for PhysX). Put in 2 x 4890s in Crossfire and the box wouldn't POST, mostly continual long beeps (power supply probelm?) but occasionally one long, two short beeps (display init problem?). Fans would spin up to noisy 100%. Occasionally, it would POST with the CrossfireX straps removed, then would BSOD after several hours and reset button would get me back to continual long beeps.

Well! Video card problem, I hear you all cry and I thought so, too, but you'll notice I've accumulated enough spare bits to build another machine, and so I did. Bought an HX620 to power it and much to my surprise, CrossfireX works, no BSODs and I have a nice new machine (if we neglect the stock Intel CPU cooler :-).

Finally, "confirming" that its been the HX1000 troubling me all along, I unplugged all the HX1000 cables in the first machine, replaced the GTX285/GTS8800 with the 4890s in Crossfire and plugged in all the HX620 cables. All working! Unplugged the HX620 and went back to the HX1000, sadly continual long beeps.

I keep wondering, have I missed any tests that might have more quickly and reliably pinpointed a problem? Anywhere I should have been poking my DMM? Any system level tools that might have shown up a problem?

Finally, have I done enough testing to earn an RMA?

Regards, Kanguru

• Corsair Employees

Unfortunately it is never easy to identify bad component in a system. The best method is the process of elimination... that was what you did.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived