Corsair Community

Need help with RAM replacement

fritter7

Ok, here's the (lengthy) problem:

My dad's laptop was running slow, so he decided to get more RAM. He was running Vista with 1GB of memory (2 512 MB sticks). His laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4587. I went on Newegg and ordered 2GB of memory, model number VS2GSDS800D2. When we first put in the memory, the 2GB stick was in the top slot, and a 512 still in the bottom. The computer started up fine, and there was some speed improvement, but the system was only recognizing 2GB of the RAM. When we tried switching the slots on the RAM the computer would not start up at all, the screen didn't even turn on. Switching them back had it working like before.

I figured that maybe the two kinds of RAM weren't compatible, and he didn't want to spend much more money so he decided to get a 1GB stick (VS1GSDS800D2). We just tried putting the new stick in with the 2GB and it didn't work, it had the same problem with it not starting up at all. Switching the slots didn't help at all, it just had a blank screen.

A couple of other things I tried:

Putting the 1GB and a 512 in did work.

Putting the 2GB in by itself (in either slot) also worked.

Thanks in advance for reading this, any help would be appreciated :D

Ok, thanks for the reply. I used the configurator, it came up with one 1GB stick of RAM (533mhz instead of 800). Using those, I could obviously only get 2GB total. So I guess I should just use the 2GB stick by itself because it couldn't get any more. It's not really the solution I was hoping for, but thanks anyway.

• Corsair Employees
IF you system lists 1.0 Gig modules and 2.0 Gig max it most likely means that you have to use 2 1.0 Gig modules I would suggest checking with the manufacturer of the system to be sure it will support 2.0 Gig modules most older systems would not.

Ok, you just sent me in the right direction :P

I looked at the owner's manual, the laptop only supports 2GB of RAM total. I knew that the operating system could limit the amount of RAM, didn't know that the motherboard could.

Thanks for all the help!

Archived