Corsair Community

Monitoring and Overdrive 3.0

Hello everyone, great Forum,I will get right to the point. I have downloaded some of the performance monitoring software mentioned on the Forum (Whats the name Cz and the 3D gaming assesment tool). My question

I dont want to get to many tools that do the same thing (perhaps it is not a problem)

For the actual overclocking changes I see three ways. One is strictly through BIOS, for me another option is TurboV(from ASUS) and the last is AMD OverDrive 3.0.

I can also monitor through ASUS PC Probe.

So is there something I should ditch? Like do all my changes through TurboV or take on OverDrive 3.0 solely?

I guess what I am getting at is, could I get in a situation that compares with having 2 or more AV programs running at the same time or should I just "tool up" with everything out there?

The Phenom 2 955 Black Edition did not stay on top (for AMD)long,as now we hear about a slightly faster 965 BE.

I am doing all my "learning" overclocking with the Regor and Calisto AMD chips and a 790GX board,perhaps it lowers my loss if I make a really bad error. Thanks

Hello everyone, Well I went ahead and installed AMD's OverDrive 3.0. it is a program that I am going to enjoy working with. I have noticed no conflicts with ASUS TurboV (I just don't modify things in one and then change those settings in the other,seems to work for now.

I am asking about two systems (one is up and running the other I am still gathering parts,and money) the systems are basically the same except for CPU's, one is a Anthlon X2 250 and the other will use the Phenom 955 Black edition.

I do not yet have any video card(s) gaming performance is very poor using the onboard Radeon 3300 family present with the ASUS M4A78T-E. This board supports Hybrid CrossifeX (but only with 3450 GPU's). I can get a open box EAH3450/HTP/512M from newegg for $25.00 or new for $66.00 from Tiger Direct. I wonder how much inprovement will I see.

As mentioned one of these two machines will be used for a educational purpose server using Server 2008. Would there be any value to use the Phenom machine for the server? Would a HyperThreading Intel processor be better to use as the server?

The machine that will be used as the server will get that $66.00 card at best (most likely the open box card).

The machine left over will get my choice of GPU(s) for gaming. I like aerial combat gaming.

The server machine will get the RAID card (as suggested by GaPony) and a network card. And will use a 4HD set-up (hopefully SAS drives) in a external enclosure.

Both machines run in Antec 1200 cases (I have one now) and both machines use Corsair 850TX P/S.

I will go to updated air cooling (perhaps CPU only cooling on the Phenom) and updated Northbridge and southbridge cooling on one if not both machines.

If anyone cares to look at what I am doing and put some direction in my construction it will really be appreciated. If not I will keep on reading reviews, studying, and making the best decisions I can. We all know learning from a mistake does have value,its just that it is so painful

Best Regards Daniel R.

Hello everyone, just to add something to my main question,Server 2008 (and most server OS's) are written for multiple CPU systems. A single CPU is one of the designated hardware configurations that Server 2008 is written for. I am wondering if Server 2008 takes advantage of the Intel only HyperThreading technique.

Even my instructor does not know what to tell me in regards to selecting a CPU for a single CPU application. The OS runs on a dual core processor but if I must select one of the more expensive Intel HyperThreading CPU's I will.

Does AMD have a technique that is comparable to Intels HyperThreading?

I was ready to buy a dual CPU dedicated server board and dedicated XEON server processors until I read a very short answer to my question and that answer was to use desktop hardware for home use. The article stated the reasons were cheap,simple,gets the job done.

I am finding much more gaming hardware advice from the forums I visit. I related this to my instructor and he said he was not suprised as that is where the young students want to direct their studies. It is not popular to become competent in System Administration, Network Administration,or Server hardware configuration,its just not so exciting.

In any case I do thank the Forum for letting me ask my questions.

I am a "Top 20' contributor on a Forum that I spend a lot of time on,that forum is CarTalk. I spend a lot of time on CarTalk as I just cant break away from 35+ years as a automechanic. My screen name on carTalk is "oldschool". Your will have to forgive my CarTalk persona, I can be a little short with people, I am not mean though,just frustrated with some of the questions and the important information left out of peoples questions. If you have car questions come to CarTalk and we will help you.

Best Regards Daniel R.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/system-requirements.aspx

Minimum: 1 GHz (x86 processor) or 1.4 GHz (x64 processor)

If you're building a 2008 box for your own education, then you'll be just fine with almost any processor. Could even run it in a VM if you choose not to build a 2nd box and funnel some of the appropriated cash into your gaming rig.

I related this to my instructor and he said he was not suprised as that is where the young students want to direct their studies. It is not popular to become competent in System Administration, Network Administration,or Server hardware configuration,its just not so exciting.
I think he may be a bit out of touch with them. People do different jobs for various reasons. While IT can be highly stressful, and most server boxes aren't suitable (or recommended) for gaming, there are other reasons to go into the field. There's a wide variety of options within IT, but it's not one of those careers that TV ads make it out to be, where you complete a course / certification and suddenly you're rolling in dough with a family and 2.5 kids lol. Lots of hard work and overtime go into it.

Wired, Thanks, you have helped me make some decisions. I will make the server with my Anthlon X2 250. I will try out the on-board RAID set,I will try out the on-board LAN connection and I will put my 4 HD's all in the same case. I made these decisions based upon your confirmation that just about any CPU will do. Lets try and see.

For my gaming box I have changed my choice of MB. I will not use the ASUS M4A78T-E but I will use the ASUS Crosshair 3. I made this decision based upon a review I read today about the M4A78T-E and its Hybrid Crossfire technology. It seems that the Radeon 3300 790 GX chipset (as identified by CPU-Z) limits descrete GPU performance. Your descrete GPU will be limited to 1.8 times the onboard videos performance. I know it seems odd to me also. I am going to check with ASUS.

I did read a tip for increasing on-board performance. You increase the GPU clock speed. The article stated you can go from default 500mhz to 950mhz. My video was unstable at 950mhz so I backed off to 850mhz and stability returned and benchmarks increased.

My new board selection is more expensive but looks much better for gaming and OC experminents.

Thanks.

Archived