Corsair Community

Two questions about Corsair Flash Voyagers

Solipso

I have a Flash Voyager 2GB and a Flash Voyager 16GB.

First Question: Something I read in an amazon.com review suggested that the performance speeds for my Voyagers would increase if I changed the file systems from FAT32 to NTFS. I am running Windows XP SP 2 and a hard drive that uses NTFS. So I have just formatted my two drives to NTFS. Was that on okay thing to do? :confused:

Second Question: In the Policies tab in Device Manager, I have the option of choosing "Optimize for quick removal," or "Optimize for performance." For the second choice, the Device Manager instructs me to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon to remove my drive. I am presently using the first choice for both of my drives because I am afraid that I might inadvertently pull one of my drives out without using Safely Remove Hardware. Is my fear justified? What would happen if I did choose the second choice and I removed my drive without using Safely Remove Hardware? :roll:

• Corsair Employees

NTFS Format is great to use if you want to transfer files larger than 3.8GB, but if not FAT 32 is a more universal format which can be used by many OS such as Mac, Linux and Windows.

I would use the Safely remove hardware tool but if you forget at times I would not worry about it. =)

NTFS Format is great to use if you want to transfer files larger than 3.8GB, but if not FAT 32 is a more universal format which can be used by many OS such as Mac, Linux and Windows.

I would use the Safely remove hardware tool but if you forget at times I would not worry about it. =)

1. I don't know that I'll ever be using my Voyagers to transfer files of more than 3.8GB. I am getting a laptop with Vista, so maybe I'll format my Voyagers back to FAT32. I'm unsure if I should bother. Maybe NTFS would be best if I use only XP and Vista. Certainly, while using just XP and with them formatted for NTFS I haven't seen any increase in transfer speeds, but I do have "Optimize for removal" selected in the Policies tab.

2. It seems that you suggest I go ahead and select "Optimize for performance" and that I routinely use Safely Remove Hardware. I'm not sure, however, if you actually recommend that. :sigh!:

I don't like the way my drives were functioning with NTFS. So I have decided to stay with FAT32 and "Optimize for quick removal." That works well for my purposes, which is usually to back up small files. :sunglasse

I would suggest using that you format the drive with the Format utility from the SD-CARD Organization. for best performance especially after using NTFS this will bring the drive back to optimal performance.

Thanks for the good replies you've been making Ram Guy, but I'm going to stick with FAT32 and "Optimize for quick removal." Other users, however, may be interested in your information.

Archived