Corsair Community

Thinking of getting a second P256 for RAID 0

mkanet

I am curious will I squeeze out any more performance out of real-world, every day usage if I were to switch my Vista 32 OS and applications single Corsair P256 with a RAID 0? I know that in theory I'll get very fast sequential read/writes (almost double). However, I'm curious for random writing/reading.

Will anything actually slow down going from one disk to Raid 0 (using intel ICH8 controller). The last thing I want to do is make it slower. The reason I ask is because I read somewhere, where some things are actually slower.

PS: I wonder why the P256 shortage in supply all of a sudden? Did people buy more of these drives that Corsair produced? Is there a new revision on the way?

Thanks in advance,

Happy P256 user.

Hmmm.. what kind of test did you do that shows random access and seek speeds also improved? I dont see how that would improve, if anything, there might be a slight slowness.

All of the results will improve but the read performance will improve the most from the testing we have done so far. we will post the results when they are finished.

Thanks RAM GUY, yes, thats why I originally said that its actually slower when RAIDing when I looked it up before posting. But, that goes against what you said that all tests show faster.

Have you searched for any of the reviews?

Like the HardOCP review SSD RAID scaling under Windows 7 there is some good information about single and Raid configurations there but I am sure there are more if you search for them.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. When using RAID 0, Windows will boot up slower than a single disk (at least Windows 7). However, for general read/write performance SSD's have almost perfect scaling (at least with ATTO tests).

There are some posts (like the one below) that say RAID-0'ing their SSDs are definitely slower no matter what.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=300751

That's why I wanted to know more information about your tests since you said that all your tests were faster (since doesnt match what people post on the Internet).

RAM GUY can you please ask your coworkers also and see what definitive answer you guys can come up with related to 2 P256's and various tests.

• Corsair Employees
Yes we will but I do not expect to see all of the results for weeks or months. It takes time to do that type of testing and its subject to free time for tech support at the moment, so its hard to predict when it will be completed.

I'll do it for free; and, have the results right away. All I would need is a good discount for the second P256 I want to purchase.

Yes we will but I do not expect to see all of the results for weeks or months. It takes time to do that type of testing and its subject to free time for tech support at the moment, so its hard to predict when it will be completed.

random access should be faster and SEQ reads be faster as well, IOPS should be faster but depends if the onboard controller can handle it or not (Writes will be faster due to onboard RAID Writeback cache if turned on)

you should get around 400MB/s on reads, mkanet what ever results you get on crystaldiskmark you can 2x it with 2 SSDs, but when you get to 3-4 disks in RAID 0 you find that the chipset controller will be the limit (around 650-800MB/s for onboard, Hardware raid around 850MB/s) but in Real world use your unlikely to see any performance increase unless your messing with Big files (your streaming if i remember so that does not need much data rate) as the IOPS are very high on SSD to start off from

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=80329

Archived