Corsair Community

Asus P5B-E and 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-6400C5C issue

mhacker

Hi,

I recently purchased 2 kits of 2x6400C5C XMS2 memory, to be used with my Asus P5B-E in Windows 7.

The problem is that the computer hangs when I run memtest. If I have 1 stick installed in slot 1, then it works. If I install another stick in slot 3, then it hangs. If I then take the stick that was in slot 3 and put it in slot 1 and test again (with only 1 stick installed) then it works again.

On top of that, memtest found errors in one of the sticks, so I'll have to RMA it. But I'm worried that either my motherboard or my CPU may be faulty since I have the issue with slot 3.

I've tried with with different voltages (up to 2.1v) as I understood that you could be forced to do this if you have more DIMMs installed, and manually configured the timings to 5-5-5-18. I can't change NB voltage though.

Anyone have any input on my problem?

Thinking about replacing the motherboard too - I read that many people are having issues when using all 4 DIMM slots on Asus motherboards.

Would a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR work with my XMS2 sticks, or are there other units that work better?

Hello, i couldnt find a listing for GA-EP45-UD3LR but without the "L" heres the compatability chart.

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=754040

hope your RAM is listed, i think it is.

also keep in mind with any 4 stick config from 2 separate matched pairs adjustments to frequency and voltage must be adjusted to assist the memory controller handle the load.

you will likely have to run all 4 sticks at 667 instead of 800 regardless of what board they are installed. the only 4 stick config officially supported is tested and sold as 4 sticks in one package.

hope you get it all sorted, if you are gonna RMA anything, both sticks from that pair must be returned to get a matched set back, it also increases the risk of getting a different version back that may not play nice with the surviving pair.

Good luck!!

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.o Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for the input - however I can't change the NB voltage, only the RAM voltage (1.8-2.1 volts) and the RAM frequency. I've tested with clocking it to 667 Mhz and having the voltage up as far as 2.1 volts but it's still failing (memtest crashes and hangs).

• Corsair Employees
On the MB the NB Voltage will be listed under the CPU Vcore and Memory Voltage where you set AI Over clock Tuner and you may have to set AI Tuner to Manual to see all of the Voltage settings. But if you cannot set the NB Voltage you may not be able to run 4 modules, did you test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure one was not failing?

Archived