Corsair Community

Noise after computer shuts down

TimG731

I recently had a computer built for me using a "CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply." I noticed that after I shut it down, I can still hear a faint humming sound coming from the tower. It doesn't look as though any of the fans are still operating so my one friend suggested that it might just have something to do with the power supply not shutting off completely. Does it seem as though there just needs to be somehting that wasn't done properly in the computer's settings or would this require me having to get a new Power Supply?

I have the same PSU model for my system, which was (only) put together about three weeks ago. It is not overclocked and the temperature in my house is not going above 83-85F (28-29.5C) at the hottest time here in the desert (i.e. dry weather).

Anyhow, I also noticed a sound from the PSU but when my system is on Sleep mode. It clearly sounds like the PSU fan is on - as it should. Maybe you were on sleep mode and not really shut down?

When I shut down I often switch off the system using the switch next to the power cord on the back of the PSU. I'll try to shut off without flipping the switch to double check but from what I remember there is no a sound when the system is shutdown. I'll update my post tomorrow if I hear a sound though when shutdown.

I noticed the last couple of days however, a rattling/whining noise from the PSU.... kind of high pitch and pseudo-random, which reminds me of fast Morse code or sounds you'd expect form a hard drive moving mechanical parts during swapping around. It clearly is from the psu and ikt is starting to get on my nerve a little. I also started using sleep mode regularly the last couple of days I have been working on a project. I can hear the sound now and the temperature is about 81F (27C) or less. And, according to my mobo the case temperature is about 40C and CPU 42C and Graphic Card 48C, usual for my standard use.

Is the PSU transformer winding wires loose already?!! or the fan showing signs of defect/fault?! I'll contact support tomorrow to see if this a source of concern.

Let me know if you also noticed the same and what you know about this high pitch sounds and solution to fix it or reduce it.

Thank you,

Donat

Update:

:!:Yes, my 850W HX CPRSAIR PSU also makes a faint humming sound after shutdown and the fan is blowing. It sounds like a faint refrigerator pump. I also notice that my mother board seems powered somehow too, since the emergency blue power off switch on the mother board itself is lit, and the red LEDs from my front intake 120mm fan are also lit and flickering, maybe a little less bright than when powered (none of my case fans are spinning of course).

Now I remember one of the reason I started switching off the PSU after shutting down my PC.

:idea: The only reason I see for this fan to stay on is to avoid the PSU temperature to rise when still hot if the fan would stop right when the system is shutdown - i.e. in order to allow to cool-off the PSU before stopping its fan to prevent damaging the transformer wiring and premature aging of PSU from heat damage. Then again, why did this PSU fan ran all night until, I powered 0ff form the PSU switch?

:question: Is the temperature triggered fan set to start the fan at temperature as low as 25-28C (i.e. summer air-conditioned room temperatures)?

On a different note, the high pitch (faint but noticeable over the case fans) erratically buzzing/rattling noise coming the PSU is still there from start, I will try to assess if it can be associated with activity (i.e. load, graphic card activity, ...).

I hope this helps and I too wonder if this is normal behavior. Thank you in advance for any explanations and suggestions.

Donat

Archived