Corsair Community

HELP Random Crashes, blue screens and other guff

Hello,

I got them and this board in January and had no problems until late may, the computer would restart randomly and boot loop, i'd switch it off by the power supply's isolation switch and switch it on again, sometimes it would be fine, sometimes it'd boot loop, sometimes it'd get to windows and crash, other times i'd get 20 minutes out of it.

I have always ran this ram at 2.1 volts as stated.

So, i replaced the motherboard, the power supply and the graphics cards (google is flakey at best on this subject) and the problem continued, although the ASUS P5Q motherboard handled the issue by not booting at all, not even to POST.

So, i figured it was the ram, tried some other ram and i was right, it WAS the ram.

RMA'd the lot and finally recieved the replacement sticks 3 weeks ago, all working lovely.

BANG, it started again without even a sniff of a catalyst, i tried lowering the frequency to 800MHz, nada, tried increasing the voltage slightly (as i read in another post) zip, not a sausage.

I'm now running, albeit very slowly, on a single gig stick of [random third party ram] that i'd kept for emergencies.

Can anyone shed some light on this? is there an issue with this ram on this particular board?

i'm at the end of my tether here, if i have to rma this ram again the replacements are going straight on ebay.

I await your comments and suggestions,

Thanks,

Chris.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

yes i know all this but why does it keep happening? i've already had them replaced, if i knew what was causing the ram to go wrong i could stop it. are there any bad things that make corsair sticks go wrong? if i know what the catalyst is, i can prevent futur occurances.

that's the thing, none of them fail individually, ever, that's why i had to send all four back last time, cos i memtest'd them in pairs, singularly and all at once, each time they came back fine. i also downloaded and ran "memtest plus" which gave me the same results but with a different colour scheme.

as i said i've tried them on other boards and have been googling away at it, i did find the legacy usb issue and have disabled that on my board (it's been disabled since last time).

i can't make head nor tail of this cos it's the first time i've ever encountered this particular problem.

There's an accompanying BSOD, called a SideBySide error, which has occured in both instances and that's the only constant, the problems are always variable from restarts, boot loops, blue screens and freezes, it's never the same error twice and i can't actually recreate it myself.

weird.

my girlfriend (who knows diddly about computers) suggested that it might be a compatibility issue between the dominator sticks and the ep45 ds3r but i've looked at their compatibility list and it has dominators listed as compatible, as for corsair's compatibility list, it seems to only cater for pre built systems rather than home builds, so i can't zero in on the actual motherboard versus ram compatibility from corsair's point of view.

i get this effect:

1 module - OK

2 modules - OK

3 modules - ok for an hour or so - then crash

4 modules - ok for 20 minutes or so - then crash

i've ran diagnostics on the hard drives and GPU.

my mate has 16GB of ocz 1066 ram which i tried in this board and left it on overnight for two days

my 8GB in his board lasted an hour then doed

he's using an MSI platinum.

• Corsair Employees
If the modules all pass one at a time I doubt the memory is the issue but I dont have a problem replacing them if you like. Please tell me the previous RMA number and I will have our customer service contact you.

Archived