Corsair Community

HX620W noise

dochmbi

My Corsair HX620W is making a buzzing / engine-like / fridge-like noise. I know it's the PSU because I've ran the system with no other fans (even the cpu fan was removed) and still heard the noise.

I haven't heard a noise like this from any power supply I've previously used and I want to let you know that I have nothing against the sound of air moving, but this horrible engine-noise is driving me crazy.

I have attached a .wav recording of the noise, please take a listen and tell me what you think.

If the unit is indeed faulty, I hope I can take it to warranty service with a Corsair service partner here in Finland, since I ordered it from a online store in Germany.

corsair 620 noise.zip

• Corsair Employees
The buzzing noise is not normal on our PSUs. Here are the possible causes: connected to an emulated sine wave UPS, bad power feedback from the video card, and of course a faulty PSU. If the system is current hooked up to a UPS, then please try connecting directly to the wall outlet. Is it possible to test the system with a different video card?

Nope I don't think the GPU has anything to do with the noise, because I tested it with a minimal setup consisting of only the motherboard, ram, cpu, cpu heatsink and the psu and no fans other than that of the PSU. I suspect that there's a problem with the PSU fan, now, I could test it if I were to open up the PSU and remove the fan and connect it someplace else to give it a listen, but that would void the warranty wouldnt it...

Archived