Corsair Community

CMXAF1 airflow fans not working?

GJoBOn

I have the NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller, and the Corsair CMXAF1 airflow fans which cover my Corsair Dominator DDR2-PC8500 1066Mhz (5-5-5-15-2T @ 2.1V) seem to be blowing HOT air over the memory. I placed the temperature probe in between the two 2GB modules (so that its vertical, parallel with the DIMMs) and I know that I had installed the CMXAF1 fans correctly. When I leave the Sentry LX set on Auto, it shows the temperature at around 38.2 degrees Celsius, at around 3700 RPM (this is what it says right now as I'm looking at it - btw my Windows Sidebar CPU&RAM meter reads the RAM usage at around 65%, as does my CPU&RAM reader on my Logitech G19 LCD). After pressing the FAN SELECT button on the Sentry LX and reducing RPM of the CMXAF1 to 0 (I can see thru the window of my tower that the fans have stopped moving) the temperature drops quickly and stabilizes at around 36 degrees C.

In short, my fan controller/reader shows the RAM to be at a lower temperature when the CMXAF1 fans are off. Turning them on heats the RAM, which is obviously not this product is supposed to do. What is going on here? Maybe the CMXAF1 fans are blowing hot air they pick up from the bare PCB of my graphics card onto the top of my RAM? Whether I'm heavily gaming or not, however, these intake fans seem to always blow hot air onto the DIMMs. Maybe I placed the temperature probe in there incorrectly? Please help, guys. It irks me how leaving these fans off keep the RAM cooler :mad:

• Corsair Employees
I would suspect that the readings you are getting are not accurate. I can not imagine it would be possible for fans mounted directly above the memory to increase the temperature of the memory.

Archived