Corsair Community

Overheating CM2X2048-8500C5D?

Tvis

I have a problem which seems related to the ram blocks...

At the moment i am running with just 2 GB and have the other ready for changing. The problems will occur after 10-12 hours of having the computer turned on - faster if i use both ram blocks.

I think the ram get to hot to function properly after a given period of time. My case is ventilated okay but this happens (every 3 or 4 days depending on usage) and causes a spontanious reboot. I can then check the ram with windows ram test or something else and will get a lot of errors after such a reboot.

If i then change the stick to the cold one everything is okay - so both sticks are okay cold and no good 'warm'.

Is this the ram cooling failing on me or can i lower some setting in the bios which will prevent them from getting to warm?

I would if I had another system that used ddr2. Ive been looking on the site for the past month just seeing other peoples problems were to hopefully fix mine. it usually doesnt shut down unless nothing is really being done with it. or if it gets too hot in the room it will shut down and reboot until it gets cooler

• Corsair Employees
Try running the system one day with one module and then the other module the next day, to see if you can isolate it to one of the modules. If it does the same thing with either module chances are its not the memory.

• Corsair Employees
Then its most likely not the memory like I stated previously. It would almost impossible that both modules would fail in the same way at the same time and if they did I would suspect the MB may have some problem.

with both sticks in i crashed again. running memest86+ right after it crashed and im getting errors in test 5. had the system running for almost 8 hours when it crashed. getting failing addresses in 3075 3083 3087 3091 3099 3103 3111 3127. im gonna try running just the 2nd stick for awhile.

Well when my ram is running cold its great but once the 2nd stick heats up my system crashes.

im running memtest86+ on the 2nd stick and its running it as ddr400 instead of the normal ddr1066. im guessing this stick is the bad one. it ran through with no errors when running at 200mhz but wont run the test at 1066. I dont really want to run my ram at 200mhz when on both sticks it says they run at 1066 which they read as that when cold but once warm 1 turns into a 200 mhz.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see my thread has been used for a lot of stuff :-)

Well, i got a new set of ram... Same problem... Im not returning these as the postage and bother is to big...

Conclusion: The design of these ram is a total FAIL! they get to hot.

The ******** RAM i bought has worked without any problems at all.

Sad but true.

I can see threads with similar problems to mine and I have communicated with other people who have the exact same problems as me. Hence my harsh conclusion.

Archived