Corsair Community

Probs of unknown origin

If this is the fellow that has moderated this forum forever then you are intimately familiar with my setup. My Sapphire 4870 1 gig card is locking up without overclocking. On the Inet guys have suggested more voltage to the CPU and/or Ram. The CPU has 10% added already so I hesitate because the next jump is 25%. It's not overheating. Any ideas? As it turns out the Vid card has gone bad after only 4 months. It has gone back to ATI but it's only Nvidia for me from now on. I just updated the Bios stright from Biostar but I've forgotten how to manually set the CAS. It''s the good stuff from Corsair so it uses the fast timings. Where do I set the CAS? I just found him. I was looking for DerekT. That was my buddy that turned me on to this lovely set-up I have.

Working with ATI Techs on the problem we have come to the conclusion that it is limited to a video card issue. I dropped in my old GS6800 and it's back to fine. Glad I didn't have to risk my nice stable system due to bad vid card. Being only 3 months old it's gonna take a plane ride back to ATI. Let's see how their support is. At least on paper Sapphire has the worst warranty in the biz.

• 3 weeks later...
Well now that we know the Vid Card was bad I didn't remember for sure all the BIOS settings that Derek gave me. I'm pretty close but since we ain't playing horseshoes...the big problem I think I have all the settings back to what he gave me but setting the RAM timing manually is preventing a successful reboot. Just switch that to manual is all that is required for it to prevent the acceptance of the BIOS. Running Memtest the BIOS when left to it's own wishes sets the RAM at 5-5-5-15 and the timing of 4-4-4-12 are printed on the RAM itself. What gives?

Archived