Corsair Community

Brand new 400CX - 24 pin connector has only 23 pins!!!

MediocreFred

Hello,

I just received my new 400CX today. Was installing it in my PC and noticed that the 24 pin connector has one pin missing! The corresponding wire is missing too! Here are a couple of pictures I took:

IMG_3185.thumb.jpg.ef3d060f13a44a6fea8cace4544d4485.jpg

IMG_3189.thumb.jpg.99e962c0c6080f0dc6de4e97485ec5f9.jpg

IMG_3186.thumb.jpg.ec3d08d2ff38f2e79941e0449d01d6d5.jpg

I've heard so much about the quality and reliability of Corsair's products. This is what drew me to purchase this PSU - my first ever Corsair purchase. I can't imagine how this could've passed QA - even a visual inspection would be adequate to spot the missing pin.

Since this is an obvious defect, I expected Corsair to pick up the tab for return shipping, but, they don't. I feel let down. Luckily, the retailer offers to refund return shipping if the item is genuinely defective - fortunately, I had not cut out the UPC code for the mail-in rebate.

Of course, I am now going to be without a PSU for 2 more weeks and will in all likelihood miss the mail-in rebate postmark window (within 30 days of purchase). I am little disappointed that Corsair wouldn't stand behind their products - yes, they do replace under warranty, but, if they truly care about their reputation for reliability, they should pick up the tab for return shipping -especially for defective items. Cross shipping would be a nice touch too - other vendors do it.

As for Corsair's quality control, I hope this is an exception rather than the norm.

Thanks,

MediocreFred.

I don't think you have a problem, looks just like the connector on 2 of my power supplies that I checked. Appears that this pin is not used. Look at this http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html Scroll down and you will see a pin out diagram. The missing pin is for -5 volts and appears to be optional and I also read something about being obsolete.

Hmmm OK. None of my other PSUs (other vendors) has this pin missing, but, I believe you since you guys know a lot more about this than I do.

I apologize for being hasty take back my criticisms of Corsair - assuming the following can be resolved...

So, I plugged it in, turned on the PC and noticed that it doesn't detect the presence of a hard drive. I tried 3 different SATA power connectors from the 400CX, but, no luck detecting the hard drive.

If I put in a different PSU, the hard drive is detected just fine. I haven't installed the OS yet and so, all my observations/diagnosis are from the BIOS.

This is a fairly basic brand new PC that I am putting together. All the components are new and so, the fault may lie elsewhere. Here is everything that is in the new PC:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q SE Plus

Case: Rosewill RZLS142A-P

PSU: Corsair 400CX

Memory: OCZ2B800C54GK

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 512MB HD2600XT PCIE

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB

DVDRW Drive: Samsung SH-S223/L

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot/resolve this?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Yes, that is the -5v that is no longer a standard on the new PSUs. If the drive does spin up with other PSU, then let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived