Corsair Community

Value Select 256x2 PC3200 and MSI K7N2GM

Fezzik

I am having no luck with MSI K7N2GM (nForce 2 igp) and Value Select PC3200. I'm trying to run at PC2700(166) I've found that adjusting the latencies gives better stability. Here's the run-down. AMD Barton 2500 (333 FSB) Corsair Value Select 2x256mb in dual mode SPD suggestion: 2.5-3-4-7 Auto-Voltage selection by bios: 2.7v Do I have the latencies right? What are the 'advertized' latency settings? Will I ever get it to work without random pixels on the screen? Thanks, Fez

I think I should flesh out the last post's component list... Premier PSU 3.3v 15a; 5v 29a; 12v 11.5a 64mb frame buffer, 64mb agp window SB Audigy 2 CD-R and CD Combo, WD 120gb caviar 7200rpm ForceWare 3.13, display 52.16 Any assistance? Thanks...

• Corsair Employees
Please set the memory frequency at 100% so the memory is running at the same frequency as your CPU and I would set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url].

I found that one module of the Corsair is bad, if it is in any DIMM slot the computer will refuse to boot and will issue a series of long beeps. I was able to replace it with a GEIL chip and that seemed to help. The one good Corsair chip passes all of the MemTest86 tests, but it still causes strange pixels on the screen. Fortunately, I have a friend who loaned me a pair of GEIL Golden Dragons (PC 3200, just like the Corsair) that has the system up and running flawlessly - except that Windows still won't boot. I have to assume that the data may have been corrupted by the Corsair stick. I'll re-install windows with the one working Corsair stick and see if that works. I'll keep you posted.

I reinstalled the one 'good' stick of Corsair RAM, and regardless of the BIOS setting (2.5-3-3-7, 2.5-3-4-7, 2.5-4-3-7, 2.5-3-3-8, 2.5-4-3-8, and 2.5-3-4-8) and voltage (2.5, 2.6, 2.7) this ram is NOT stable enough to use. If the computer can stay running long enough to start an operating system (Knoppix, specifically, since it won't stay together long enough to load Windoze), it still has random pixellation. I had considered that the PSU may be an issue, as many nForcers say that power is critical, but I got my friend (also the source of the good memory chips) to loan me his (very nice) Allied 400 watt unit to no avail. Regardless of the power supply, the system was rock solid with the other ram in it, but the Corsair just isn't working. Any other suggestions?

• Corsair Employees
Please try and set the memory Frequency at 100% so the memory is running at DDR333. If you try to run the memory at DDR400 and the CPU at 333MHz it will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and may very well cause this issue you are reporting. If you have that set to 100% and still have this issue, then please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them.

Archived