Corsair Community

Dominator GT 1866 CL7 Kits not right

Dear All,

I bought few weeks ago two 6Gb Kits of Corsair Dominator GT 1866 CL7 with Fan from Internet and I've some problem with one kit or maybe all two.

PROBLEM 1 :

Runing at 1333 CL7 (down-clocking) :

- Kit 1 : 6Gb detected apparently without any problem.

- Kit 2 : problem, fluctuating from 4Gb to 6Gb detected.

When my 6Gb are detected, CPU-Z report me that one of the DDR3 module is not Dominator GT 1866 CL7 but 2000 CL8 (CPU-Z), even if the sticker on the module tell it's 1866 CL7.

This has been also confirmed by my Motherboard bios when using XMP profile wich some time detect and set the memory module to XMP 2000 CL8 instead of XMP 1866 CL7 depending on the order the DDR3 module are plugged.

I think this situation is not normal, but unfortunately for me I lost the original box and plastic packages which was protecting the DDR3 modules individualy, unfortunately my supplier refuse to exchange my wrong DDR3 modules if the DDR3 are not sent back on their original packaging stuffs.

PROBLEM 2 :

It's also impossible to make any of the two Kit to run @stock speed of 1866 CL7 on asus Rampage II Extreme, It can run stable at 1600 CL7 with 6Gb (3x2Gb modules) but not at 1866 CL7 like it should be.

When using all the 2 kits at @1333 Mhz CL9 for a total of 12Gb, it's sometime stable and sometime not, seems linked with (PROBLEM 1).

When installed using this configuration the bios sometime say that I 've 12Gb and sometime only 8Gb, working at higher speed is of course unthinkable if I still got problem @1333, but this should normally work at least @1600, I saw several people running 12Gb of Dominator GT @1600 on the same MB like mine with 2x 6Gb kits).

Checked my vQPI (3.34~1.35V), vDram (1.66~1.67V) and all other parameters, all seems correct and works with 6Gb and Kit 1 @1600 but not @1866 as it supposed to be, with Kit 2 it completely fail even if runing @1333.

When working in a 12Gb configuration with the same voltages, the system is completely unstable, even if slightly increasing vDram & vQPI, when running @1333 the problem remain, so I'm sure Kit 2 have a defect, but what about Kit 1 which seems to be stable only @1600 and not at 1866 as it should be ?

I'ill try to test each module individually with memtest this week-end running @1333, 1600 & 1866 using CL 7, 8 & 9 for each frequencies.

So, any idea or recommandation?

Thanks in advance,

P. Evangelista (Belgium)

1. Corsair can RMA them at any time, just keep the receipt in case they ask for it.

2. They don't guarantee 2 kits at the rated speeds of each kit due to limitations and stress on the memory controller (not to mention they don't sell / test 6 sticks at those speeds).

Hi Wired,

So thanks for the comments.

I know for the warranty limitation when trying to runs 2 kits of 3 modules if sell as 2x 6Gb kit separately instead as a full 12Gb kit, this is not a problem for me, if the modules are able to works at slightly lower rates like 1800CL8, or 1600CL7 for instance, things many people seems able to do with corsairs dominator GT modules.

Here this is slightly different.

As I explained, the first kit simply fail to work even if running alone @1333, some module fail sometime to be detected and runing stable also @1333, also one module seems to be identified as Dominator GT 2000 CL8 instead 1866 CL7 (on CPU-Z), even in the bios who tells sometime XMP2000 profile dêpending on the DIMM slot where the module is plugged.

The second kit seems to works alone @1600 CL7 until now but not @1866 as it's supposed to be, I hope this kit will not fall down within severall days or weeks, but I find also abnormal that this kit refuse to work @1866, specially because Corsair use the same motherboard for testing in their labs and they have no problem at all, these kits are also recommanded for this motherboard on Corsair website, proof this should work at least with a 6Gb kit alone on that motherboard.

So, I think I need to consider an RMA request, at least for the first kit which failure is evident, regarding the second one I prefear making deeper investigation before to be sure it's a DDR failure problem and not some wrong parameter setup in the Bios, if some one can help it will be very appreciated, specially if someone knowns bios settings which should be right for my configuration (See first post).

Regards,

P. Evangelista

• Corsair Employees

With two sets of that part DDR1333 or DDR1600 would be suggested and you will not be able to get the full speed of the modules unless you only run one set..

For the set that you say will not run properly Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Hi Ram Guy,

First, thanks for the reply, so I know for the speed limitation when running 2 kits together, so no problem at all even if they cannot run @stock speed.

For the first kit, I will follow your recommandation and see for an RMA, first with the e-shop where I bought it, than with Corsair directly if I no success.

For the second kit, I'll continue to test it and try to make it running @1866 alone (only one 6Gb kit) as it should be, I will come back to you after deep testing to give you the results.

On the other hands, do you have any idea or recommandations regarding bios settings for an ASUS Rampage II Extreme Mobo powered by an intel i7 975 Extreme edition to support these DDR3 memory in the best way ?

Regards,

P. Evangelista

• Corsair Employees
With one set of modules and using a (DO) Stepping CPU just get the latest BIOS version and then load setup defaults and then Enable XMP Profile one and then with a (DO) Stepping CPU you may have to set the QPI Voltage manually as they do not like High QPI Voltage and the XMP Profile will set it to 1.6 Volts so I would lower it to 1.35 to 1.4 Volts and then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Thanks again,

I'll try your settings tomorrow and tell you if it was successfull or not.

Regarding memtest, I've tried the Windows application but it's not compatible with Vista 64bit editions, sames result for the latest releases, think I need to considere to make the standalone "CD boot" version of memtest.

See you,

Pat.

Archived