Corsair Community

1.usbest usb2flashstorage, 2. RMA Then what

tbh

I have a 9 month old 16GB Flash Voyager that gave the "usbest usb2flashstorage" signal of death. Attempts to remove the usbest usb2flashstorage driver then reinstall per many suggestions failed to recover data let alone allow me to recognise then format the drive to erase any data. 2nd party software also failed see the drive in order to recover any information on the drive. So my guess is that I'll get the OK for a RMA.

The question/concern is what happens next to the drive, as the data on the drive contains financial information I wish not to hand out to anyone? Based upon all that I have read in this forum and tested on my own, one of two things are shot, either the driver has been deleted by XP and needs to be reinstalled from an external source or the processor chip is fried.

Is there a source for down loading the drive for this drive directly from corsair?

If not and dased upon the forum results, I think the problem is the processor chip. If my hypothesis is correct, then the memory chips are still intact as is the data they contain.

I've contact an outside vendor that removes the memory chips and reinstalls them on a new USB for a hefty fee. So the reovery of data can accomplished. What happens to the drives and data stored on them when they are returned to corsair for warranty issues? Memory chips are easily dissabled with a little sodder or a quick clip of a few connector wires, can I still return the unit if I purposely disable recovery of the memory?

THanks for your time

• Corsair Employees

Please try and format the drive with the Format utility from the SD-CARD Organization. Then run the test again and see if that helps.

If you still have problems, let’s get it replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

As far and doing anything else to the drive to disable it that would VOID the warranty, I would suggest you call in n and talk to our customer service before you attempt anything like that. 888-222-4346 Ext "3".

Thanks for the advice. I already tried the formating step before contacting you...no luck. The voyager drive is not detected with every method suggested by the software online manual, yet using the same program with other manufacture's flash drives recognizes those fully functioning drives.

I'd like to give the driver downloaded from corsair a shot if that option is available. Since after deleting the driver via the control panel and reinserting the drive to a usb port, the auto detect funtion of the operating software pulls and installs the usbest usb2flashstorage driver from where? Flash drive or a default setting in XP? The corsair website says all the driver info is contained in the flash drive. So if it's pulling the driver from the flash memory, the processor chip is semifunctional suggesting a software issue. So if I were to directly reinstall the correct driver from corsair I could get around this potential software glitch, if it is in deed a software problem.

Finally, could you tell me what happens to the returned drives? IF it's a quick insection and toss/destroy then I'd fell better about submitting the drive with info on it. If you don't know what happens, just let me know and I'll call tech support with the line provided

Thanks again

Archived