Corsair Community

Getting two kits of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D working in Abit AX38 QuadGT

AndrewLMacaulay

I have been having problems getting my system stable, with 4x1024Mb Dominator 1066MHz (using two pairs CM2X1924-8500C5D) units installed.

With all 4 DIMMS installed, PC works for a while and then will start BSOD (memory related errors), stopping boot at C1 (memory related) and other issues. If I remove 1 of them, it seems to work fine (not a problem while I'm 32-bit, but will be upgrading to 64-bit soon as all of the software and drivers now available that I need).

Have gone through changing settings to those recommended here as well as voltage - noting that I have 1 pair v1.5 sticks for which 2.2V is recommended and 1 pair v4.1 for which 2.1V is recommended. Running them at 1000MHz (closest I can get to 1066MHz when running 333MHz clock). Have also tested with MemTest - individually they all test ok, put 3 in and all seem ok, put 4th in (any slot) and either fails or simply does not boot.

Others seem to have had similar problems with these memory sticks and Intel X38 motherboard. Have had replacement motherboard and memory over the past year as a result of earlier problems, all of which look to be actually related to this issue.

Is there anything I am missing in looking at the settings - there seems to be some talk about reducing memory clock speed when running 4 sticks, but not sure by how much and resulting impact on performance. Are there other settings that I should be looking at, and what would be recommended.

Should I be RMA'ing the sticks (especially with the voltage difference between the different versions) ... or is it down to replacing the 4x1Gb sticks with 2x2Gb and/or replacing the motherboard with an X48 based board?

Thanks in advance

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived