Corsair Community

TwinX512-2700LL wants to add 512MB

AthlonAsusGuy

Back when I bought my Asus A7N8X Deluxe, I decided that I wanted to buy the best memory that I could, and at the time it was the TWINX512-2700LL. They run at 2-2-2-5, and have served me well. Now that my work* is more memory intensive, I've decided to upgrade to 1GB of RAM. I'd like to do that by taking my two TWINBANK DIMMS and moving them to a single memory bank (sockets 2&3), while adding a new 512MB module(socket 1). What's the best part to purchase while trying to maintain the best level of compatibility? I looked around at NewEgg, and their listed specs for the CMX512-2700LLPT & CMX512-2700LL are both 2-3-2-5. What gives? Do you not have the capability to make 512MB modules at 2-2-2-5? * - OK, OK. It's for World of Warcraft and not work. You got me.

• Corsair Employees
Well let me put it this way, first Winbond announced last September they were stopping all Rev B IC production, and we were forced to change to Rev C of the Winbond IC. Then in December of last year they Winbond announced they were getting out of the Dram business all together. This was the fastest IC we have found and the only one that would run with the Rass to Cass set to 2. However, towards the EOL we started to see some of the MB's not able to run with the Rass to Cass set to "2" no matter what IC was used/ Mainly Intel platform MB's. The quick answer would be to use CMX512-3200LL, however you may need to still run the timings at Cass 2-3-2-5 with the Rass to Cass set to "3". However this would have a better chance of running at a tighter frequency.

WOW! Thanks for the ultra-quick response and the full explanation. It makes sense that you're limited by the availability of certain parts. I value stability over performance by a nose, so I'll probably just try upping the timings to 2-3-2 and go for the 2700LL. Thanks! P.S. This might be the all-time fastest response ever... :biggrin:

As it turns out, my memory from ZipZoomFly was an older CMX512-2700LLPT that is stamped with 222-5T on the side. I plopped it in and everything worked. I upped the DRAM Voltage to 2.7V, as I had seen that mentioned on other parts of the site, "just in case". Seems to work great. Thanks for all the help!

Archived